UKC

Cutting through a rope (IRATA video)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EeeByGum 29 Jul 2011
In reply to alan wilson: What exactly is this supposed to teach us?
 EddInaBox 29 Jul 2011
In reply to EeeByGum:

I teaches us not to use a knife to pad out the edge when rigging a rope over the top of a crag I think.
OP alan wilson 29 Jul 2011
In reply to alan wilson: It shows two ropes being cut through a rope protector in 2.5 seconds real time against a steel edge, angle is 14 degrees. Just for interest, to illustrate how easy it can happen, eg over a sharp edge of granite etc, but of course, if you know everything and have seen everything then not a problem.
 Sharp 29 Jul 2011
In reply to alan wilson: Cheers for posting, was surprised how ineffective the rope protector was in that scenario. I take it the rope protector was cut through and then the sharp edge cut through the rope or was the rope cut 'through' the rope protector without it being exposed to the edge directly?

Wonder if a carpet would hold up better...hope so!

Ben
In reply to alan wilson: There are two rope enclosed within the rope protector. One is weighted by the load, the second is attached to the back up via a shunt and a cows tail. All components in new condition prior to start. The edge is a thinnish steel strip. The main line is cut fairly quickly, the back up was semi-cut but the shock load from a ff 1 was enough to part it completely.
Just eye opening stuff from the industrial world.
 Enty 29 Jul 2011
In reply to alan wilson:

Hopefully anyone with an IRATA qual would never rig their work line and safety line over a thinnish steel strip like that - what did they expect?

E
In reply to Enty: Yes, you are quite correct, but sadly someone did, and someone died. The video was produced in order to really get the basic message into the heads of the less interested techs out there.
 Enty 29 Jul 2011
In reply to alan wilson:

Scary. I'm assuming a L3 too - are L1's allowed to rig?

E
 Mr Lopez 30 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

You'd be surprised at the skillsets of some current L3's... http://www.irata.org/safety_notices.htm
Anonymous 30 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Lopez: yes, lots of muppets out there who think they know what they are doing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...