UKC

New toy - Kong Gipsy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Warner 30 Jul 2011
Hi, I saw this
vimeo.com/26088030
did anyone try it?
 Dean177 30 Jul 2011
In reply to warmauri:
The video made me laugh a bit, "Oh no, the cam is useless as it isn't big enough, if only they made a size bigger than 3"
 deepstar 30 Jul 2011
In reply to warmauri: I think I know a crack in a Mendip quarry where this would be just perfect.
 JH74 30 Jul 2011
In reply to warmauri:

2 clips to get it off your harness and then you twist it and release some sort of safety catch then you're ready to go.

Should be easy enough when you're pumped, scared and about to fall off..

Never say never but it looks like nonsense
 Jonny2vests 30 Jul 2011
In reply to warmauri:

I wont be rushing out, but it will be interesting to see how it does. I've won Kong gear in the past, all I can say is hmmm.
 jimtitt 30 Jul 2011
In reply to JH74:

That is because he´s carrying it in the stowed position where it is massively more compact than the equivalent cam, normally if you were attacking a crack line like that you´d have pre-set it and then it´s easy and quick. Miles easier than a BigBro.

I´ve played with one and the Kong guys aren´t fools so I´d assume it does what they say. We shall see!

Jim
OP Warner 30 Jul 2011
In reply to jimtitt: They look quite big. I hope the price will be lower than a good cam.
adam11 30 Jul 2011
If my memory serves (which it usually doesn't) I think I've seen foreign cavers using a similar device as 'climbing stemples'. This was a long time ago so I could well be mistaken.
 hexcentric 30 Jul 2011
In reply to warmauri:
> (In reply to jimtitt) They look quite big. I hope the price will be lower than a good cam.

They are big. They are offwidth protection. Also, they are not really competing with cams (well, maybe with a camalot 6 or something) - more with big bros I would think. The equivelnt cam is about 100 quid anyway (and hugely bulky to carry), so they seem likely to be cheaper than that.
ice.solo 01 Aug 2011
In reply to warmauri:

ive only briefly messed about with big bros, and these things look easier to handle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...