UKC

COMPETITION: Your Help Needed: Recommend A Welsh Hill Walk

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKH Articles 24 Aug 2011
We want Peirs, 4 kbWe've teamed up with Visit Wales to give you the chance to win a pair of La Sportiva Trango Trek Micro EVO GTX boots.

Answer a simple question for a chance to win!

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3983

Q. Where is the best walk in Wales and why?

amandaleeds 24 Aug 2011
In reply to UKH Articles:
I haven't really spent much time in Wales so can't recommend a walk however I'd quite like to visit a wild swimming spot in Afon Merc near Beddgelert - an article I found talks of a series of waterfalls and quite plungepools so it sounds like a great place to walk to for some relaxation amongst nature especially on a hot summer day!
In reply to UKH Articles: Rhinogau - In my opinion it is one of few areas where solitary can still be found.
I've spent many days around there, taking in some fantastic views, scrambling over the numerous rock formations, all without seeing another person (well, apart from the people I'm with obviously).
 gali 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Ynys Mon from Cemaes to Bull Bay. spectacular scenery, quiet bays, wildlife and historical interest and good pint in Bull Bay.
 roddyp 25 Aug 2011

The best walk in Wales? There's so many great contenders - the Snowdon Horseshoe, the Nantlle Ridge, and the central Beacons from the Neuadd reservoirs...

But for me, one stands out above these - It has the drama of Snowdon, but without the crowds, and every inch of it is a real Mountain Walk:- Cadair Idris, by the Minfford path.

Climbing steeply up the stunning hanging valley, keep left of the stream into the base of the cwm, and the amazing glacial lake of Llyn Cau. Follow the path round the rim of the cwm, with dizzying views down gullies to your right, and follow the path to the top of Penygadair, with views over the Mawddach estuary to the hills of Snowdonia beyond.

The summit shelter is a great spot for lunch if the weather's bad, before you cross the plateau to Mynydd Moel. From here, you can head back down easily, with great views into the cwm, and the Tarren hills beyond.

And when your reach the car park, there's a handy pub just a minute away...

Glyno 25 Aug 2011

The best?

In my opinion, the best walk in Wales is The Snowdon Horseshoe - but not the one from Pen y pas - the one from Bethania taking in Yr Aran, Snowdon's South Ridge and then Llywedd returning back over Gallt y Wenallt.

All the grandeur of Wales's finest summit, but without the crowds.

Parking and toilets at grid ref: SH 62792 50693, plus a great cafe/tea shop - what more could you ask?
In reply to UKH Articles: The link in the post doesn't appear to work; 'That article doesn't exist in the database', apparently.

T.
 Sam_in_Leeds 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Glyno:

Ditto, you beat me too it!

Amazing walk a million times quieter I found when I did it than the classic Snowdon-Horseshoe which made it a lot nicer.
 garetheverett 29 Aug 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: I recently walked from Glynceiriog to Barmouth. This is a high level route crossing Wales east to west. Starting from the village of Glynceiriog which is more or less on the border with England and finishing in Barmouth on the coast. The route takes in Moel Fferna, Cadair Bronwen, Cadair Berwyn, Moel Sych, Cyrniau Nod, Foel Hafod Fynydd, Aran Benllyn, Aran Fawddwy, Glascwm, Pen y Bryn Fforchog, Waunoer, Mynydd Moel, Cadair Idris and a fitting end, crossing the bridge over the Mawddach estuary to Barmouth. About 55 miles, 3 days, 2 nights camping, fish 'n' chips in Barmouth, and the Arriva X94 bus back to Llangollen, taxi to Glynceiriog (3 miles).Only 5 roads to cross and I only saw 6 people on Cadair Berwyn, 2 people on Bwlch y Groes, and 2 Frenchmen in the hut on Cadair Idris, Wild Wales at its best.
 Mike Peacock 02 Sep 2011
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:
> (In reply to UKH Articles) Rhinogau - In my opinion it is one of few areas where solitary can still be found.

The Rhinogau are indeed quiet and spectacular, but to say "one of the few areas where solitude can still be found" is a bit far. In my experience the Arenigs, Tarrens, Dovey Hills, Arans, Hirnants and Plynlimon are equally quiet (if not more so).

I place the blame squarely at the feet of Trail and their endless fixation with the Rhinogs as "Wild Wales" :p
 trish1968 02 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: For me it has to be the north ridge up Tryfan then down the south ridge and over Bristley ridge. Great full on scrambling day.
If it's just walking then snowdon horseshoe does it for me.
visage 02 Sep 2011
Q. Where is the best walk in Wales and why?

Hill / Ridge walks in Wales - it would have to be the Brecon Beacons, through the summits of Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn and Corn-Du; last February we experienced hail, gale-force winds, snow, rain, and beautiful sunshine all in the span of 4 hours. It was amazing and fun, great views descending down to a little valley where wild ponies roamed and a quiet stream meandered through a mini-forest.

Great, enjoyable, and mildly challenging walk - what made it particularly interesting was the change in weather in a short span of time, a true experience of what Wales is about!
levon 02 Sep 2011
Best Walk in Wales? Hard to nail just one, but for me it would probably be:

Cnicht via the SW ridge and then on round to Moelwyn Mawr.
Excellent, quiet walk with a great ridge top on Cnicht with a wee scramble at the top and amazing views North to Snowdon, Glyders etc.
Walked it many times with lots of different people and always found it a joy.
PaulGasson 02 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Best walk in Wales? For my money it has to be the Nantlle Ridge from Rhyd Ddu. Getting back can be a problem (2 cars?) but walking there and back makes it twice as good! No crowds at any time!
Another obvious contender is the Carneddau Ridge, from Abergwyngregyn via Aber Falls, to Ogwen, using the Pen yr Helgi Ddu descent rather than Pen yr Oleu Wen.
 liamhughes1981 02 Sep 2011
Got to be Up tryfan via the north ridge. A great scramble with some reasonably hairy bits to keep you interested, don't forget to climb cannon rock and jump between Adam and Eve.
Removed User 02 Sep 2011
Without doubt the Welsh 3000ers (15 Peaks) in one go. An awesome day out!
 chasm 02 Sep 2011

Coincidental to the last post, I'd recommend the Welsh 1000m route. Starting at sea level and finishing on the roof of Wales, the summit of Snowdon, this journey through some of the quietest, busiest, wild, varied and beautiful areas of Wales is just phenomenal. Of course its adviseable (in all excursions) to get off the mountain safely too!
 Ian McNeill 02 Sep 2011
from the west rhinog fawr via roman steps llyn Ddu and back via Gloyw lyn

great views and the ty mawr pub in Llanbedr at the end
 allenp 02 Sep 2011
I would say one of the best walks I've done in Wales is the Nantlle ridge including Moel Hebog and the cracking wild peaks of Moel Y Ogof and Moel Lefn. Start in the Pennant valley take in Moel Hebog then the 2 other Moels above and onto the Nanttle ridge at Trun Y Ddysgl. To get in some of the best bits you need to do an out and back to Y Garn but this does allow some easy scrambling and great views of and over Mynydd Drws-y-Coed, double back then some more great easy scrambling over Craig Cwn Silyn to finish off before heading down. I spilt the route into 2 shortish days with a wild camp out. Also got to kick steps in the snow up and down Moel Hebog which was fun.
DynoDave 02 Sep 2011

One cannot just justify a best route in Wales - it depends entirely on the day...however here are some of my favourites...

Crib Goch for spectacular views on a clear/clean day.
North face of Tryffan if feeling adventurous and a bit more Energetic and want to avoid the people.

If interested in seeing the tourist destinations a trip up snowdon cannot be missed.
The ranger path up the back entrance tends to be quiet and during sundown in the winter the views are specatcular.

Dave
 M1V0 04 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: The Isle of Anglesey Coastal Path, the wildlife is supposedly astounding with tens of Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. it'll take long enough to complete (12 days) so something new to see everyday.
8mileshigh 06 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Just got back from North Wales, and took some friends (who are not themselves dedicated hillwalkers) on the following wonderful route. Glyder Fawr via Cwm Idwal. It has everything: a picturesque start at the wooded lakeshore of Llyn Ogwen; An iconic part of the Welsh natural landscape in the form of the glaciated valley of Cwm Idwal itself, with its famous role in the history of geology and botany, studied by Charles Darwin; dramatic rock scenery throughout, from the forbidding rock walls of the Cwm and the legendary Idwal Slabs, to the strange lunar rock formations on top of the Glyder range; and of course, a climax at one of the major summits of Snowdonia, more than 3000 feet above sea-level, with spectacular views taking in Snowdon and Ynys Mon (Anglesey), and a real mountain feel to it - culminating as it does in a sharp rocky pinnacle (easy to get up onto). All this while avoiding the crowds that spoil some of the best routes up Snowdon, and finding just the right balance between being strenuous enough to provide a sense of acheivement, yet short enough not to turn into a dehumanising slog for those who are not committed hillwalkers. There are a range of terrain types and constant encounters to keep up the interest: highlights include the foreboding chasm of the Devil's Kitchen overlooking Cwm Idwal (an easy scramble to explore this as far as the huge chockstone boulder), and looking across at the breathtaking elegance of the ethereal Castell y Gwynt (Castle of the Winds). Come down by Y Gribin (hugely fun ridge walk all of whose tricky sections can be avoided on the left), or extend slightly by crossing the other main peak of the range, Glyder Fawr, and descending through Cwm Bochlwyd. An amazing walk showcasing some of the most beautiful and iconic parts of perhaps the most dramatic mountain range in Snowdonia, the Glyderau.
8mileshigh 06 Sep 2011
In reply to 8mileshigh: Obviously I should have said that the optional extension takes you over Glyder Fach, not Glyder Fawr, which is the main objective of the first part of the walk!
Jules Mera Peak 06 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: glyn neath and angel falls...
 bec 06 Sep 2011
Yr Elen, Carneddd Llewellyn & Carnedd Dafydd
 molly72 07 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Cnicht from Croesor. A stunning little mountain, that is easily accessible to almost anyone. It looks iconic from a distance and has superb views from the summit. On the way visit the old mines, they are both fascinating and tragic. They are also an important reminder of the history of the area (and the country).

This is an easy but exciting walk which even has a little scramble to the top, rewarded by sea and mountain views.
 Klimb 08 Sep 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: There are many wonderful walks in Wales however the 'Round of Marchlyn Mawr' is a real contender for best walk due to the beautiful, wide-ranging views throughout the walk . Start at the road to Machlyn Mawr reservoir, just after Marchlyn Bach. Then follow the ridge to climb & traverse Elidir Fach & Elidir Fawr. Elidir Fawr is a wonderful, panaoramic viewpoint and often has very few other visitors. Then follow the ridge to Mynydd Perfydd & over the top of Carnedd Y Filiast before descending to the start point. While not very long, (which may make this walk accessible to more people), it is one of the quietest walks in the most visited area of Snowdonia. There are interesting rocks & boulders to cross on the footpath as well as easier terrain. However, the most outstanding feature of this climb are the superb views in every direction - including the coast from Bangor down to the Rivals, the Menai Straits and Anglesey, the Snowdon group, Glyderrau & Carneddau.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...