UKC

Reliance on Compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Batcloud 06 Sep 2011
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/09/06/lost-pair-with-faulty-compass-f...

Surely this story proves that reliance on the antiquated technology of the compass is unwise and that the modern technology of the GPS is the only way forward?
 jonnie3430 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:

What if the GPS is faulty?
In reply to Batcloud:

You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak.
 d_b 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:

Surely what it actually proves is that people shouldn't go outside if it is cloudy, raining or likely to get dark within the next 24 hours.
ice.solo 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:

Ban rescue services.
If they didnt find them no one would know and we could all go back to blissful ignorance.
 mlmatt 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:

Or maybe people should look after their equipment and carry a spare. If you can navigate and are using your compass properly then you'll realise that there is an error somewhere. This can be checked on a friends compass or a spare compass that's either carried personally or as part of the group.

I can understand how people see GPS as the way forward, but surely people should be learning how to navigate on a map and compass before they start relying on technological adaptations.

Plus I can't afford a GPS
 sasmojo 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud: Like mlmatt says. Learn to nav with map and compass correctly, carry a spare have a GPS as back up if you must. A compass battery never dies.

Good to see the guys did the right thing once they were lost though.
 Marek 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:
> http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/09/06/lost-pair-with-faulty-compass-f...
>
> Surely this story proves that reliance on the antiquated technology of the compass is unwise and that the modern technology of the GPS is the only way forward?

It worse than you think...
http://www.zenadsl6044.zen.co.uk/pfg/Main.htm
... proves that reliance on the antiquated technology of boots is unwise and that the modern technology of cars is the only way forward (on Snowdon at least).

malky_c 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud: I found out that my compass had re-magnetised itself on a rather shitty day on Ben Aden. It made the rest of the afternoon quite amusing, I can tell you.
 monkeyboyraw 06 Sep 2011
In reply to malky_c: In the same pocket as your mobile by chance?
 malky_c 06 Sep 2011
In reply to monkeyboyraw: No, left it sitting in the glove compartment of the car for a couple of weeks. Done that a couple of times now.
Wonko The Sane 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud: For me it's a question of aesthetics. You're out on the hill and pull out the tired old tin compass only to find that it just doesn't go with your nice yellow Arc'teryx softshell, whereas your softly backlit bright yellow Garmin adds to the ensemble rather than taking away from it. I just don't get why people need to carry such ugly items around the hills with them.
 liz j 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Batcloud:
My compass repolarised itself after being in the lid of my rucksac next to my camera. This led to an interesting couple of hours on the summits of the Glyders in what can only be described as pretty shite visability. So it does happen!!! That said, I would have thought that it would be pretty obvious to anyone with a basic amount of mapreading ability that if you keep the escarpment of the Brecon ridge on ones right hand side and walk, you will eventually reach Pen Y Fan and the motorway back to the Storey Arms!!
 monkeyboyraw 07 Sep 2011
In reply to malky_c: woops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...