UKC

WC zero wire repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bearbreeder 25 Sep 2011
Does anyone know if there are repair kits for the zeros, or if WC will repaid them for you?

Thanks
 CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder: You can't get them and WC won't repair them. This is why I won't be buying any more zeros, I think we should boycot them until WC change their stance on this! I also couldn't see how I could realistically repair them my self.
bearbreeder 26 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks, that makes absolutely no sense ... basically they are a single use cam till a wire frays or breaks ... what a waste

mlmatt 26 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder:

Surely this can't be true?
 CurlyStevo 26 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder:
OK i wrote to them regarding this and they did offer to sell me a new zero for 25 pounds but they said they can't repair the trig wires on the zeros and the trig wires do break pretty easily on these cams IMO.

They claimed the reason why was that they couldn't properly inspect the stem as it is covered in a spring and that they have to ensure the cam is still safe for use whenever they replace trig wires or slings and that they believe it was still be as strong as the rated strength they stamp on the sling.

I wrote back saying I didn't understand the reasoning I mean look at the new heliums they are covered in plastic, you can't inspect the stems on them either (plus lots of other cams are like this some of which I've had reslung in the past). They never replied to that email.

Personally I won't be buying any more zeros until this issue is sorted and I would advise others to do the same. I also can't see a way of home repairing them, in the past I've used fishing line but I can't think of anything that would work well with these cams bar buying a swaging kit capable of swaging very thin wire and I can't be arsed to do that!
 mlt 26 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder:

Check out http://www.thecamdoctor.com/ - I've got one of their kits and have repaired 4 cams with it so far... works well. Not repaired small cams yet, but they have enough wire etc. for small aliens so the Zero should be fine.

CurlyStevo 26 Sep 2011
In reply to mlt:
the wire on zeros is incredibally thin, I'm pretty sure thinner than that on aliens.
 stonemaster 26 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder: Talk to Chris Tan. He can fix almost anything, and good luck.
bearbreeder 26 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks for all yr help folks

the problem is that i live in canada, and no matter what, it will be quite expensive to deal with any fixes in the UK

it makes utterly no sense to me why WC would sell a cam they couldnt replace the wires for or sell a kit to do so ... its basically a waste of a $80 cam ... every other manufacturer either sells kits or will fix the wires for a nominal fee

if they cant fix it itll be the last WC product i buy
 Wild Country 27 Sep 2011
In reply to bearbreeder:
Dear Bearbreeder, sorry for the slow reply I was away climbing until today and have just seen the thread and wanted to reply to your question with a definitive answer.
Basically, if you send your Zero Friend to us we will assess it for repair and get back to you with a cost for repair. In some cases where it is not practical for repair we may offer a new unit at a price equivalent to the cost of the repair.
As you are in Canada you can send your Zero Friends to our US office where they will assess the unit. I hope that's OK.

You can send your Zero to: Excalibur Distribution, PO Box 1007, Sandy, SLC,
Utah 84091, USA

I hope that's OK.
 CurlyStevo 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country:
You didn't make me such an offer and you didn't inspect my cam. I will happily paste the email thread up here if you like.

I ended up throwing away my 3 year old Z3 cam, because I felt a replacement cam for £25 with my return postage on top was not worth it for a cam I didn't use that much. Also £25 although cheap is not the same price as a trigger wire repair which is typically more like 8 pounds.

Can you please explain what the standard procedure is here and why you treating this customer differently to myself. Is it because this has become a high profile UKC post?

I had a single broken trigger wire and you claimed you couldn't repair it because you couldn't inspect the stem behind the spring. Are you saying you don't need to do that now?

remus Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: I dont know when you had this problem with your cam, but WC may have changed their procedures in the intervening weeks/months/years.
 CurlyStevo 27 Sep 2011
In reply to remus:
approximately 3 months ago!!!
bearbreeder 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country:

thanks WC for the response ... i was worried that my zeros would become paperweights

i like the cams, but the wires are exposed and thin ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...