UKC

trees as fixed gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlmatt 12 Oct 2011
After a long a complex debate about the nature of fixed gear in climbing my partner threw a spanner in the works of my well crafted arguement (it was a very long discussion).

After establishing that "fixed gear" is anything that is left in a climbing route by man [and therefore not something that is placed on lead and removed on second] she retorted with this arguement:

What is someone (hypothetically) planted a tree in a crack so that they would a tree to sling thus enabling them to complete the route, but only 20 or so years later (as the tree was fully grown and weight bearing). Would this tree be regarded as fixed gear?

Personally I'm undecided as to what it counts as, but I think it could provoke an interesting discussion.
 escalator 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

It depends on what species of tree it is.
OP mlmatt 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

I'm going to take that as a serious point. And I think you're right. What if someone had planted a non-native species in grow there. Is that not the same as someone using a different rock type as a chock stone? Say like a chunk of rhyolite jammed in a gritstone crack?
 Martin W 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

> What if someone (hypothetically) planted a tree in a crack so that they would a tree to sling thus enabling them to complete the route, but only 20 or so years later

a) They would need their head examining

b) The tree would almost certainly damage the rock as it grew, thus it would be unethical

nniff 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

What if someone pulled on a root (sic) to enable them to do a move on a new route, but then snapped the root off so that no-one else could follow for years until the root had grown back? Pat Ament (I think) did this in the States somewhere. Many years later, the second ascensionists worked out what the ploy was and did the same. I don't think it's had a third ascent yet.
 GrahamD 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

A grey area. It is exactly the same argument as placeing chockstones. Does it really matter ?
 Andy Hardy 12 Oct 2011
In reply to nniff: I think John Redhead was accused of something similar in Ogwen, but IIRC he was innocent.
 Andy Say 12 Oct 2011
In reply to 999thAndy:
I think that the accusation was pretty much the exact opposite
 Bulls Crack 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

>
> Personally I'm undecided as to what it counts as, but I think it could provoke an interesting discussion.

I'm not sure it will - too unlikely and inconsequential
 Andy Hardy 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
> I think that the accusation was pretty much the exact opposite

I meant he was accused of being a lumberjack, (like Pat A in the post I replied to) not that he was accused of planting trees.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

I am very aware of that happening at the top of at least one crag in the North East that did not have good belay points! The method being to relocate a few saplings to locations more suitable for belaying to.

On routes the roots would damage the climb. See the thread on Castle Rock to see what sort of damage trees even on top of the crag can cause over time!

It is not a good idea!
OP mlmatt 12 Oct 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

No, it doesn't really matter. In fact climbing itself doesn't really matter, but that's beside the point really isn't it. I asked a perfectly fair questions in a effort to start a debate about the ethics behind and the attitudes towards fixed gear and you felt the need to comment that it doesn't really matter.

If it doesn't matter than:

a) why did you bother to post a reply to the question
b) why did you bother to point out that it doesn't matter.

And point of fact, it is not exactly the same arguement as chockstones. Chockstone are not hypothetical arguements.
OP mlmatt 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Possibly if you tried to add to the discussion instead of trying to point out it's weaknesses.

What is you're view point on this matter?
 GrahamD 12 Oct 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

Would it help if I re-phrased the terse reply of "does it matter ?" to "how much does it matter ?" you would be happier.

FWIW I think stylistically its exactly analagous to placeing a chockstone but less practical(the ethics question is more about whether we have any business altering the crag at all, not about what style of ascent we chose to claim - or the ethics of lying about style)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...