UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The Cave from Heimplanet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 01 Nov 2011
Heimplanet Cave in use 2, 4 kbA highly innovative and technical tent, The Cave, from Heimplanet, is a stable and rigid geodesic structure, which utilises flexible TPU beams, filled with air, to support the attached flysheet, meshed inner and groundsheet.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4196
 Mr Lopez 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

One Pump System allows complete erection with only one inflation procedure.

Oh yeah!
In reply to UKC Gear: Stefan Clauss, co-designer of The Cave, and co-owner of Heimplanet, says, "The Cave was designed for owners to have a good time, and be grateful of their experiences. Heimplanet want you to be at home on all your travels, while being free to explore the different cultures of new surroundings."

So a tent now allows you to be 'grateful of your experience'

Stefan ITS JUST A TENT
 Roberttaylor 01 Nov 2011
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: With one pump erection, it had better.
 Reach>Talent 01 Nov 2011
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
I think you are missing quite how intents the whole experience is!
 superturbo 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent: Ace pun
 Bulls Crack 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut)
> I think you are missing quite how intents the whole experience is!

Are you canvassing our opinions?
In reply to UKC Gear:

What is this tent for? Camping in you back garden or camping in gale force eight winds?

Looks like the fabric is a bit saggy, getting wet much? The pump is pretty large.

Anyone seen one in real life?
 Ken McCulloch 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: They are also about 50 years out in their claim that this is the first inflatable tent. There was a moderately successful inflatable tent marketed in the UK in the 1960s.
 gethin_allen 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Ken McCulloch:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) They are also about 50 years out in their claim that this is the first inflatable tent. There was a moderately successful inflatable tent marketed in the UK in the 1960s.

Indeed,
I remember someone doing a DT project on such a tent when I was in high school ~15 years ago and then he found out that it had already been done.
 Luke90 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Ken McCulloch:
> They are also about 50 years out in their claim that this is the first inflatable tent.

Have they actually claimed that? I can't see it written anywhere in the UKC article or on the Heimplanet website.
Hybrid 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
Does it come with a puncture repair kit?.....one little tiny thorn...
 poeticshambles 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Even a woman could erect that tent.
 Bulls Crack 01 Nov 2011
In reply to The Green Giant:

Vango have had Airbeam tents out for a year or so now. I looked at one and it was really nice build but I decided not to buy it because it didn't seem to offer anyhting that poled tents couldn't and if you get a puncture you've got problems, wheras with poles yoiu can often patch them up.

And it was expensive.
M0nkey 01 Nov 2011
In reply to The Green Giant:

Agreed. It looks massive. When i read the article i thought it might be a nice space and weight saving measure but the stuff sack looks like a flipping suitcase. I just dont see the point. If i wanted something huge and cumbersome that was easy to pitch i'd probably just buy a pop up tent out of decathlon for 50 quid or whatever.
 Roberttaylor 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: I am considering buying this tent to use for alpinism, has anyone any experience with using it for this?
 Luke90 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor:
For basecamp use, presumably?
 henwardian 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Ahahahahaha, whether you think it too early or too late, either way it is entirely the wrong time of year for an April fool!
Bobz 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
I represent the distributor for The Cave, and thought I should answer a few points.

Yes air beams have been seen before, but not in a configuration like this. Usually if a beam fails then so does the tent - not so with The Cave. Up to 2 beams can be deflated and the tent will still be fully supported.

In terms of a repair kit, there should be no need. The beams are made of TPU, a very hardwearing material that wont crack or distort over time, and the outer casings are made of very tough fabric.

The only way it will puncture is if someone deliberately attemps to damage it. However if this happens the inner beams can be removed, through zips in the fabric, and patched like a bike tyre.

Also as this tent is so new there is little consumer feedback on its performance, only testing done by Heimplanet. It will withstand very strong wind, and as the beams will not snap, like regular tent poles, the frame can withstand immense stresses and force.

It is a really good tent anyway, but just has the added extra of the air frame.
 snoop6060 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

That video reminds me of one of them apple ads, it needs a tag-line "sequence shortened".

I bet its a pain in the arse to put away.
In reply to Adventure Medical Kits: Why does it need to withstand strong winds? No one is ever going to carry this up a mountain as the pump itself is almost bigger than most complete 2 man tents.
It basically has to be a car camping tent due to the Pump and the packed size.
Who needs to spend £550 on a car camping tent of this size?

'it is a really good tent anyway' yeah right

In reply to Adventure Medical Kits: Thanks fot the private email asking why I am being so negative.

If you put a product onto a forum that is open to general comment then you are going to get comments.

My first post regarded the ridiculous marketing spiel that is being used.

You then tell us that this is a really good tent after telling us that there is very little consumer feedback and the only testing has been done by the manufacturer themselves. Tell me of any manufacturer that says negative things about thier products.

The only feature that you can refer to on this tent is the inflatable tubes holding it up, I don't think they are very good due to the fact that you need a big pump to inflate them. Other people may like this feature which is fine but internet forums allow opinions and I have expressed mine.

If you don't wish people to comment on your products I would suggest not putting them on a public forum. As you have put this product on such a forum you should expect comments on it.

Sending private whinging emails is pretty pathetic for any manufacturer really.
swhitinguk 02 Nov 2011
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: I can't be bothered to read the full thread, but I take it you've had a chance to thoroughly test the tent out fully?
loopyone 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: This product is just silly, and £500 you have to be kidding. Part of the joy of going away is putting the tent up etc. and getting into the whole 'outdoor' experience. Who wants or needs a blow up tent?
 TobyA 02 Nov 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> Who wants or needs a blow up tent?

Having camped all my life I find it odd that for some people putting up a tent seems such a big thing, but for many it really seems to be, some people have even said to me that's why they don't camp. The same type of people who like pop up tents may like the idea of a blow up tent.

500 quid seems a lot for a non-very lightweight 3 man tent, but it's a free market - perhaps for some people this thing is exactly what they're looking for. It will be interesting to hear how well they fare in bad weather once people starting reviewing or just using them.

cpsharb 03 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
I've noticed that the winner of the comp to win one of these will be asked to write a review after using it - should provide some interesting feedback!
In reply to UKC Gear:

Not exactly 'news', either...

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?chklast=1&URN=17&a...

I thought they'd missed a trick by not putting the flysheet outside the airbeams... The OM discussion also wondered about how long it takes to deflate neough to pack away...

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?chklast=1&URN=17&a...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...