UKC

Suilven by Motorcycle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gazeranco 20 Nov 2011
Hey All,

Does anyone know if it's possible/practical to get near Suilven by motorbike to walk up/down? It's a long way to go for a walk so I want to try and kill 2 birds by incorporating 2 of my favourite things, bikes and mountains!

Cheers for any info.

Gaz

fijibaby 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco: <Do not feed the trolls>
 hexcentric 20 Nov 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

What makes you think he's a troll? It's a perfectly acceptable request.
fijibaby 20 Nov 2011
In reply to hexcentric: Ok, maybe I'm being harsh.
To the OP:
Park the motorbike where everyone parks their cars, and then do the 6 mile walk in.
OP Gazeranco 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco:

Thanks guys, maybe I should of been a bit more detailed. I guess I am more worried about what the roads are like in the area? I have a quite unforgiving sports/tourer, not a "long way round" jobby so lumpy bumpy roads would make for an unpleasent journey.
In reply to Gazeranco:
Road from Ullapool to Lochinver is generally very good - you should not have any problems
I live in the north-west Highlands and drive this route frequently
fijibaby 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco: For a moment I thought you were a green-lane person.
Phew.
The roads to Suilven are fine. It should be a drive to remember on a bike. Enjoy it, it's a beautiful spot.
In reply to Gazeranco:

The Lochinver to Ullapool/Inverness road is pretty good as it has to handle the big articulated fishery lorries that frequent these parts.

ALC
 Toby S 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco:

Road to Lochinver is great, you'll have no problem on the bike. That area is very popular with bikers.

Don't take the bike up the path to Suilven though. I suspect you wouldn't be looked on too favourably! You can walk there and back in a (long) day. I always fancied taking a Kayak up to Fionn Loch and walking in from there.
 andrew ogilvie 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco: The road to lochinver is perfectly ok if you approach via Ledmore jucntion and along Loch Assynt. The approach via the coast road from Achnahaird is a twisty, narrow singletrack but (although i'm not a motorcyclist) I'd imagine that's exactly the sort of thing that makes a motorbike worthwhile. It is narrow but I've cycled along it on my bike and it was fine.
 baldie 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco: Dont do it. Its for hairy hardmen realy. You will end up with square wheels.
 jonnylowes 20 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco: i've actually taken a ice speedway bike up in quite lean conditions. the ride in was hard work but!
 Dauphin 20 Nov 2011
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Perhaps the most scenic road in the u.k. - ended up walking most of the way from Loch Inver to Achiltibuie one evening in June this year. Gentle rain, rainbows and the most glorious western isles sunset as I came out over the top from Inver Polly. Every step was an epiphany

D
Anonymous 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Gazeranco:

I can't log in for some reason.

A friend who lives in (and is from) Lochinver has taken a bike up to the col a couple of times. He has tried to get higher but failed. So in answer to your question, yes, it is possible. However...........

Blob.
Removed User 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Dauphin:

Used to drive this road all of the time. It's an awesome bike road.
 Newbuild100 21 Nov 2011
In reply to fijibaby: "For a moment I thought you were a green-lane person."

So what if he/she is ???
 Joe G 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Gazeranco)
I always fancied taking a Kayak up to Fionn Loch and walking in from there.

Aye, it's cracking. Good climbing on the western end as well, especially when you can transport the climbing gear in most of the way by boat.

Only problem is Gazeranco getting a kayak on his motorbike
OP Gazeranco 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Joe G: lol!!

Thanks for the info guys that's really helpful! Can't wait now.

Cheers,

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...