UKC

G14's on Nepal Extremes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlmatt 19 Dec 2011
Apolgies if this should be in winter climbing, but I wasn't sure where it should go.

I own a pair of size 45 Nepal Extremes and they're great. I've paired them up with some G14 crampons which set up for mono-points. When mounted on my boots with the standard bars I've found that they sit a little too far to the inside of the boot.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone use the asymetric bars to overcome this and how does it affect your climbing?

Thank you for your time.
 CurlyStevo 19 Dec 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
if the point is already too far to the inside the asymentric bar will make it worse, it will also adversly effect the angle of the point.

Have you set up the monos so they are on the inner set of grooves that are set a bit forward rather than the the ones you use for dual point?
OP mlmatt 19 Dec 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

Yes, the monos are set up on the inner set of grooves but the problem is the mono itself. It's the front crampon part seems to sit itself too far to the inside of the boot.
In reply to mlmatt: I used to have the asym bar on G14s with Scarpa Cumbres and it helped a lot - well worth it.
 CurlyStevo 19 Dec 2011
In reply to Fultonius:
> (In reply to mlmatt) I used to have the asym bar on G14s with Scarpa Cumbres and it helped a lot - well worth it.

The reason you use the asym bar on freneys and cumbres with G12/G14 is the crampons are designed for a more symetric boot like the nepals and the down points in the middle of the crampon are too far to the inside of the boot and overhang it (size 46). The asym bar pulls the front points MORE to the inside which in turn angles the mid points so they are more evenly spread about the middle of the boot.

Personally I don't like the asym bar on the cumbre/freney (same sole unit) as they pigeon toe the front points and make them point inwards too much and out of alignment with your kick, I find the rambo 4's fit much better.

To the OP:
I can't see how the asym bar will help your problem as it bends the front of the crampon more towards the inside of the boots, given that the heel unit has to stay in the same place this will only make your problem worse (as well as pigeon toeing your mono points). Have you used monos before? They are supposed to be situated somewhere towards your big toe. (Am I understanding your problem correctly that you feel the mono is too much over your big toe or even past it?)
 CurlyStevo 19 Dec 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
Are you using crampomatic? Is this problem specific to mono or do you have the issue with dual points too?

I used to have nepals with crampomatic G14 (dual point mostly used) and have tried the fit again recently to my friend nepals (both size 46) and the front part of the crampon is well situated about the middle of the sole of the boot (when viewing the bottom of the boot), a good fit, although I have previously bent the toe bails to get them tight around the boots.
In reply to CurlyStevo: Ah, I assumed it was the same issue as with the Cumbres. My mistake.

I'm on Rambo 4s now too, great crampons that I wish were a little lighter...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...