UKC

email from MLT - real or fake?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 another_mark 21 Dec 2011
I've just had an email claiming to be from MLTUK asking me to update my details.

However all the links in it point to sites named like rs6.net, bdb.im and others.

So anyone know if this is real and they just use an external agency for emails or is this scamville central?
OP another_mark 21 Dec 2011
In reply to another_mark: I should say it got a 'this email may be a scam' warning in thunderbird.
 Monk 21 Dec 2011
In reply to another_mark:

If in doubt, ignore it and delete it. Then go to the MLTUK site and log in as normal to see if there are any indicators that you should update your details.
 jezb1 21 Dec 2011
In reply to another_mark: They are asking people to update their details at the moment: http://bdb.im/6p
 Simon Caldwell 21 Dec 2011
If in doubt just go to their home page and follow the login link if there is one. If there isn't then that points to a scam, but there'll be a Contact Us link somewhere where you can ask them.
 ro8x 21 Dec 2011
I got this also, it points to a server address of: http://mltupdate.web02.blahwebserver.com/

Not sure if it is dodgy or not...
 Simon Caldwell 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Monk:
Snap
 jezb1 21 Dec 2011
In reply to ro8x:
> (In reply to another_mark)

> Not sure if it is dodgy or not...

Nothing dodgy

OP another_mark 21 Dec 2011
In reply to jezb1:

Jez, Are you saying this with other knowledge or just from having received the same email.

At the moment it is sitting in my junk folder.
 Milesy 21 Dec 2011

Post the email minus any private information.
 Andy Say 21 Dec 2011

It is genuine. We are currently investing in a single integrated website for all of the MLT Boards along with a web-integrated database which will allow candidates to update their own details, amongst many other things. It will be a big advance for us and, hopefully, for course providers and candidates.

We are conscious that of the 680,000 records (!) on our current database probably about 80% are out of date/incorrect in terms of address, contact phone number, email etc. So we're trying to get people to log in, find their details as we have them and update if needed before we go live with the new system.

Andy Say - Executive Secretary: MLTE. (Honest. I really am!)

MelH 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Andy Say:

Glad this thread came up and has been confirmed as genuine!!!

I have had this email and filed in the details after clicking onto MLTE site to check, but it might be worth MLTE noting it does look like SPAM.

I can also confirm Andy Say is who he says he is. I checked the photo in his profile just to make sure

oggi 21 Dec 2011
In reply to another_mark: The email is genuine but Andy Say is a scam!
 Andy Say 21 Dec 2011
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

But I could have lifted the photo off the web, Gwilym...

In all seriousness we are putting the attached message as a 'signature' on emails going out from all MLT staff -

'In early 2012, Mountain Leader Training will be launching a new website and online Candidate Management System. This system is a huge investment into the management of all our candidate details, and will bring all of your contact details, awards, CPD and membership details into one easy to use location.
To enable us to contact as many of our candidates and members as possible when we launch the new system we need to check we have a valid email address for you. We are therefore asking if you could please complete and submit this short form http://bdb.im/6p so we can update these account details.

Please help us circulate this message to everyone in the Mountain Leader Community by sharing this message in as many places as you can, Forums, Websites, Email, Facebook, Twitter and of course word of mouth.'

Guess that we were sort of hoping that the context/content of the email itself would convince folks of the genuine nature of the 'signature'.

But you are right to be careful. I'll pass the message on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...