UKC

Bothy Bags ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 05 Jan 2012
A question on Bothy Bags - are they a full enclosure, with a zip to let you in and ot or are they just a big box shaped piece of matertial with an "open" bottom ?

If full enclosure I assume the bottom is reinforced to protect it from damage ?

If it is an open bottom how do you stop the wind howling in ?
 Alex Slipchuk 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Pids: terra nova bags have an open bottom, with some black groundsheet to sit on, you just pull over with at least 2 people and both lean back, the tension takes care of the wind. Very handy for survival and lunch breaks with groups. I have the 4 man which is fine for 2 and rucksacs, i'm told that the 2 man can be a bit tight, but then perhaps it's better to have the lighter 2 man with you, than the heavier 4 in your car!
 dan bulman 05 Jan 2012
i've got one which is shaped kind of like a huge shower cap.
not sure what its made of but its weather proof with elastic round the bottom. you all pull it up and over your heads and under your bum and sit on it putting rucksacks on the other spaces. walking poles can give better head room.
i've been in a 12 man one which heated up really quick with body temp. it gave us time to have a brew, make a plan of how to get off the mountain, gear up and get going.
OP Pids 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Pids:

cheers guys
 gethin_allen 05 Jan 2012
In reply to The Big Man: "i'm told that the 2 man can be a bit tight, but then perhaps it's better to have the lighter 2 man with you, than the heavier 4 in your car!"
If you are that bothered about the weight you could get the teranova untralight ones. As far as I can see from the ones we had as a walking club the ultralight ones are exactly the same as the older normal ones that didn't have windows and had a slightly thinner material.
Another advantage of this is that the windows can become brittle with age and split in cold weather.

I have a standard 4 man TN and I'm considering taking one of the the windows out.
In reply to gethin_allen: got mine as a birthday present from my outdoor instructor mate, who uses them to allow wee Glasgow Neds to have a smoke break whilst out on the hills. Can't see myself replacing it. I use it for easier days out with the missus
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to gethin_allen) got mine as a birthday present from my outdoor instructor mate, who uses them to allow wee Glasgow Neds to have a smoke break whilst out on the hills. Can't see myself replacing it. I use it for easier days out with the missus

Back in the days when I smoked I tried that. What a revolting experience. Maybe Neds have learned to smoke through the little vent?

In reply to Turdus torquatus: i somehow have the feeling that it was a different kind of smoking. The same kids had to be booted of a camp site at 11pm after shit on a stick turned into a full scale shit fight. And the little 'angels' didn't even have to wash the tents
Simon Wells 05 Jan 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

I have a two person blue Terra Nova bothy in very good condition that needs to go as we know need a 3 person one, well, 2.5, two adults and a 11 month baby!

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Terra_Nova/Bothy_Bags/Bothy_2_RED.html

This one is blue and £15 if collected from South Cheshire (Alsager, near M6 jnct 16) or £18 inc P & P.

I'll put some photo's on flickre after I have feed the 0.5
Cathcart_Alpinist 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Pids: Epic fail. Bothy Bags are gay.
 jezb1 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Cathcart_Alpinist:
> (In reply to Pids) Epic fail. Bothy Bags are gay.

Inspired.
Simon Wells 05 Jan 2012
In reply to jezb1:

Well my gender and orientation neutral bothy bag photo's are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67699319@N08/sets/72157628735190151/

£15 collect from Alsager, South Cheshire or plus £3.50 for P & P.

Payment by bank transfer prefered or can take paypal
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Cathcart_Alpinist:
> (In reply to Pids) Epic fail. Bothy Bags are gay.

Please explain. Thanks.

Simon Wells 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Simon Wells:
Bothy sold!

Still have a winter glove system for sale:

use light fleece gloves for walk in, put in pocket to dry, gloves to climb in (close fitting so easy to put gear in but cold) over mitts on belays then anther set to walk out in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67699319@N08/sets/72157628736729633/

These are all gloves I have brought as part of a 'system' but been unable to use as they are slighlty to small, some are still tagged!

£25 for the lot or £40 if you want the two balaclava's
 Alex Slipchuk 06 Jan 2012
In reply to Cathcart_Alpinist: funny. I thought they were inanimate objects. Stop being a tw*t. Are you a right wing extremist as a lot of your other posts seem to suggest so. You seem to take great pleasure in looking down on other less fortunate members of society.
 Alex Slipchuk 06 Jan 2012
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to Cathcart_Alpinist)
> [...]
>
> Please explain. Thanks.

I think you'll find he is incapable of an explanation. Hence his silence. Check out his other posts especially the ones regarding class and economy. Quite sad, no respect for fellow man.
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Jan 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to Darren09)
> [...]
>
> I think you'll find he is incapable of an explanation.

I thought that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...