UKC

Guidebook(s) for the area around Dundee?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hannes 25 Feb 2012
Since I wasn't very good at creative writing I got allocated a job in Dundee. It seems to be a, erm, charming place, close to climbing at least.

Anyhoo, which guidebooks should I be getting? I've got North east outcrops and The Cairngorms in my amazon shopping cart. Anything else I should have for stuff that is within reasonable (think after work) driving distance. What should I be getting for winter climbing?

Its still some time before I move up there but you can't ever be too early perving over guide books, especially given since I'm now living in the big smoke and don't own a car I get to see real rock a dozen times a good year.

Where do I best meet partners? I've seen there is A Vertical World which seems nice enough, any good clubs that don't require a beard for entrance?
 Stuart S 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Hannes:

Northeast Outcrops covers everything north of Dundee, including Glen Clova cragging, the Arbroath seacliffs and the Angus quarries. The Cairngorms guide includes the Clova winter routes.

You'll be within an hour's drive of Dunkeld (out of date/print Highland Outcrops guide, plus selective coverage in the SMC Scottish Rock Climbs and Gary Latter's Scottish Rock guides), plus the Hawcraig and Limekilns (Lowland Outcrops guide) in Fife. There's also a new Scottish Sports Climbs guide due out this spring which will include all the latest sport climbing developments in the Angus area.

AVertical World is a good wee wall - you shouldn't have any problems meeting new folks there. You'll also be within an hour's drive of Ratho, and not much more than that to the new Climbing Academy in Glasgow.
 Sherlock 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Hannes:
Bouldering in Scotland by John Watson/Stone Country Press would probably be very useful also.
Cheers,Sherlock
 Stephi 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Hannes:
You can get a short guidebook for Kirriemuir at A Vertical World - good place for some quick after work sport climbing on a summer's evening!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...