UKC

Back of Skiddaw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DGY 05 Mar 2012
I'm planning to do 2 / 3 night’s wild camping in this area later this month and I'm looking for some advice.
1) Does anyone have any camp site recommendations?
2) Has anyone had any experience of being moved on or places not to camp?

Many thanks

Dave
 dan bulman 05 Mar 2012
hi dave. camped by wiley gill ( i think its called) it was the 2nd beck crossed after skiddaw house heading up towards mosedale. there was a sheepfold there. didn't have any worries about being moved on as we arrived late and left early. never saw another person.
out of interest what are you planning to be up there for 2/3 nights for?
 paul-1970 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Dave Yardley:
It's a good, quiet and wild area to be in, and for these reasons, if not many others, preferable to be roaming in compared to Borrowdale, Langdale and the other busy areas.

You might struggle to find three days worth of walking and wandering though - the area, regrettably, just isn't that big. The fells are shaped in quite friendly fashion and most routes can be achived quicker than perhaps planned and plotted simply by walking in the relevant direction.

I did a big one-day route climbing Blencathra then over Mungrisedale to Skiddaw House, up onto Skiddaw then headed north toward High Pike and then a long return to Blencathra and my starting point. A wonderful day and highly recommended. It would be pleasant to amend this to a two day / one night walk and camp too, and would enable more hills, dales and sights to be seen. I don't think camping is gonna be a problem as long as you're discrete and not close to any civilisation points.
 sheep 05 Mar 2012

There's this one Dave;

http://www.frcc.co.uk/walks.asp?area_id=8&walk_id=41

It takes in all of the major fells in this group. As one of the Lakes' challenge walks it would be known as the Caldew Round i.e. taking in all the fells around the headwaters of the river Caldew.

You could backpack it over 2 days, which would allow you to go at a more leisurely pace.

Discreet wild camping shouldn't be a problem.
 Wainers44 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Dave Yardley: Yous could use Lingy Hut for one night, running up the East side (Blencathra, Bannerdale, Bowscale, Carrock, High Pike etc). Then cross to the West (Gt Scafell, Gt Calva, Bakestall, Ullock Pike Ridge). Camp anywhere around Skiddaw? Not too many people around to move you on anywhere!
 Tom Last 05 Mar 2012

I think the guy who runs Skiddaw house is still Martin who's been around for years and is a lovely bloke. I doubt he'll have a go at you and you're probably unlikely to see many others. Lingy Hut is a good shout.
Removed User 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Dave Yardley: ah so thats lingy hut!! i sat outside there sheltering out of the wind there last month for my lunch stop, wasnt sure what it was tbh. so is it ok to go in there then?
 dan bulman 06 Mar 2012
yeah, i think so. not sure who owns/maintains it. theres a visitor book. its weather proof. a sleeping platform. could sleep maybe 5/6 ish.
 JB 06 Mar 2012

I camped at the side of the Cumbria Way a few years back - right by the river NW of Bowscale. I think they have had some problems with roadside camping as you must be able to get a car pretty close to there via Mosedale - there were signs saying no fires/litter and that they check the area regularly.

I doubt you will have any problems this time of year mind.

It's a great area though as others have said you will struggle to make 2-3 days out of it, an overnight backpack is probably a better option.
Removed User 06 Mar 2012
In reply to dan bulman: thanks for that dan
OP DGY 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:
Thanks for your replies, Lingy hut looks a good place to spend a night, does anyone know if it has a stove?
D
 dan bulman 07 Mar 2012
no it doesnt dave. theres a box with a few bits in,.. matches, candles and maybe a few army ration crackers. it is a bit dark inside (no windows). would be nicer looking out from a tent. but less weight i suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...