UKC

Morocco photographic trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 27 Mar 2012
Heading out to Fez and chefchaouen this weekend for 3 day photographic trip . just wondering if anyones been out there photographing and how photography fits with the Muslim culture , have heard locals don't like being photographed . hoping to put a slide show together when i get back and may post a link for any comments etc .
 mike_uk82 27 Mar 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: I went a few years ago. Great place. Though can't speak for Fez.

I found a mixed response from the people. Some were ok with it, one guy grinding metal actively encourage me to take photos of him. Others are a flat out no and some will allow it for some money.

No different from over here I suppose.

Have fun.
OP Nadir khan 28 Mar 2012
In reply to mike_uk82: thanks Mike , I'll keep some change then to pay for some photos of the locals then .
 Peter Leeming 28 Mar 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

In my experience in Morocco, one has to be particularly sensitive about photographing women. My advice would be to expect this to be impossible, although some women were happy to be photographed if they were given chance to cover their faces. Language barriers may mean this is very difficult to orchestrate.

I guess the best general advice about photographing people is to engage with them first, maybe by buying something or asking them about their work, and then ask if a photograph is possible. Some traders in the souks might play hard ball with you and take the line that buying one item buys one photograph.
 Andy S 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: in Marrakech, taking a photo of someone was usually met with outright hostility - they would expect to be paid for it. But I think this is probably unique to Marrakech where they're trying to make as much money from you as possible.

Generally in Muslim cultures you shouldn't photograph the women.
OP Nadir khan 31 Mar 2012
In reply to Andy S:
> (In reply to Nadir khan) in Marrakech, taking a photo of someone was usually met with outright hostility - they would expect to be paid for it. But I think this is probably unique to Marrakech where they're trying to make as much money from you as possible.
>
> Generally in Muslim cultures you shouldn't photograph the women.

I was in Fez today and generally asked people if they minded photographs , most didn't want photos but a few did. I managed a few general shots down lanes etc which had people but no one seemed to bothered about that . Got stung by someone wanting to show me to the tannery and then demanding money , live and learn suppose .
In reply to Nadir khan: If anyones interested , there are some shots from Fez on my blog
http://nadirkhanphotography.co.uk/blog/?p=163

ChrisJD 31 Mar 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

the goat's tongue says it all....(poor pun, sorry)
 Patrick Roman 31 Mar 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

Hi Nadir,

I travelled through Morocco a few years ago, including Chefchaouen and Fes, but I don't think you need any advice on photography there - your shots are stunning! Your comment that "no-one does anything in Morocco because they're nice" is right on the mark; it's peasant capitalism, especially in the medinas.

Hope your stomach survives the three days
In reply to Patrick Roman:
> (In reply to Nadir khan)
>
> Hi Nadir,
>
> I travelled through Morocco a few years ago, including Chefchaouen and Fes, but I don't think you need any advice on photography there - your shots are stunning! Your comment that "no-one does anything in Morocco because they're nice" is right on the mark; it's peasant capitalism, especially in the medinas.
>
> Hope your stomach survives the three days

In chef today, stomach bearing up but you have to avoid eye contact and ignore anyone that try's to speak to you as they only want to sell you hash . You'd think it was sniper alley the way locals hide if they see a photographer , FFS ! Was very lucky though as a couple of girls from Fez were happy to walk up and down some stairs to give me the shot . It is a stunning place though.

Stomach bearing up , in chefchaouen

In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Nadir khan)
>
> the goat's tongue says it all....(poor pun, sorry)

I thought that was a nice touch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...