UKC

Calling all Peak District aficionados for advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IainMunro 04 Apr 2012
Hello,

My girlfriend and I have some time off in May and are considering a trip to the Peak. We'll be looking for some climbing, mountain biking and running and wondered if you guys could help give us some ideas as to the best place to base ourselves for all three activities mentioned above?

We don't mind driving a wee bit once we're there but it would be nice to be based somewhere with crags walking distance away and running/biking routes that start from the campsite.

Our van has electrical hook up so we're ideally looking for a site that is campervan friendly.

Neither of us have been to the Peak before so we want to know the places not to be missed and the pubs to aim for at the end of the day! Questions will follow at a later date about hill runs and mountain bike routes once we've decided where to base ourselves.

Thanks,

Iain
In reply to munri:

I always stay at Edale which is a hike from the crags, but do-able. Great walking and running from here and I imagine MBing would also be good (not sure on this though). There are 2 campsites and I have always favoured the lower one having had a bad experience with the (then) surly owners of Cooper's Farm, the upper campsite (management may have changed since). I'm not sure about Camper Vans and you would need to do a bit of research on this. Two friendly pubs with good scoff though we favoured The Ramblers Return.

Finally; enjoy..I'm jealous.
 Jon Stewart 04 Apr 2012
In reply to munri:

Hi

I don't know too much about campsites, nor the running or biking, but I would say that for climbing in May, I would base yourselves near one of two epicentres of gritstone climbing: either Stanage or The Roaches. These are far and away the biggest and best crags, and if you're camping right next to either, you're also in walking distance of lots of other classic crags.

I would say that the limestone in the Peak isn't really worth travelling to specifically (although I expect someone will recommend you go to Stoney - don't!), but if it's really hot you might find that everything on grit feels impossible (the friction-dependent nature of the climbing means that in hot humid conditions the climbing is really difficult and not very fun). In which case, if it would be worth checking out the limestone, bearing in mind that at HVS and below you'll encounter a lot of polished horrors.

As for pubs, if you're near Stanage, then Hathersage has some OK pubs, but I particularly like The Grouse at Froggatt edge, which does a great steak pie - the best in the Peak by a country mile. Avoid the Fox House near Burbage, it's dreadful. If you are out on the limestone, then the Red Lion in Litton is my favourite - in fact, I'd go there for a meal and a few beers anyway, it's great. There are also quite a few posh gastro-pubs if that's your thing, but I tend to avoid them (although I have had some excellent food at The Plough in Hathersage).

Others will know the pubs around the Roaches area better.

Hope that's helpful.

eschaton 04 Apr 2012
In reply to munri: if you want to base yourself inbetween Hathersage and Edale for the best choice and easy access between climbing, running and mountain biking, have a look at Swallowholme campsite/caravan park in Bamford
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1925

It is less than 5 mins away from Hathersage in the car, and about 10 from Edale/Castleton

As already mentioned, the pub in Bamford is worth skipping, and heading directly to the Littlejohn or Scotsmans pack in Hathersage or the Rambler or Nags head in Edale, never mind the 5 or so others you have to choose from in Castleton.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...