UKC

Like button

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peat 05 Apr 2012
Hi UKC people

I would like to make the suggestion to put a "like" button for comments on picture.

Thanks peat

wilkie14c 05 Apr 2012
In reply to peat:
Peat
You are young. You are keen. Your spelling of your username suggests and interesting and earthy character. You have a no nonsense approach as you came right out and said it but I'm afraid this isn't a new idea. It has been done before and the figures prove it can not work on your suggested model and for that reason, I'm out.
 pec 05 Apr 2012
In reply to peat: The UKC consensus is that "like" buttons are trite and pointless and would serve no useful purpose on here.
You can already vote for photos anyway, I'd say "like" would be worth 4, "really like" a 5. You could also "dislike" with a 2 etc.
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Apr 2012
In reply to peat:

I'd like a like button.
 The Pylon King 05 Apr 2012
In reply to peat:

can we have a "Shit" button?
Ryan Simpson 06 Apr 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: now, if there was a "like" button i would like your "shit" post!
OP peat 06 Apr 2012
In reply to peat: It was more for the comments that other people had said...and I know it has been tryed and tested, thats why I thought it would be good.
 Dominion 06 Apr 2012
In reply to peat:

> I would like to make the suggestion to put a "like" button for comments on picture.

Better than a "Like button" is the option to make a comment about a comment.

So, rather than just click a button, you have to actually articulate why you like a comment

This means that it is for people who a) are intelligent enough to think through the lack of a "like button" and b) are prepared to spend more than a second or so to express their appreciation, and thus you have to c) really mean it, rather than it just being some trivial inconsequential instantaneous reaction.

NB No offence intended, this is a general comment.

"Like buttons", to me, tend to trivialise things, and are also anonymous, so could be used to anonymously bully, or insult someone, depending upon the content of the comment they are "liking".

MJ 06 Apr 2012
In reply to Dominion:

Better than a "Like button" is the option to make a comment about a comment.

So, rather than just click a button, you have to actually articulate why you like a comment

This means that it is for people who a) are intelligent enough to think through the lack of a "like button" and b) are prepared to spend more than a second or so to express their appreciation, and thus you have to c) really mean it, rather than it just being some trivial inconsequential instantaneous reaction.

NB No offence intended, this is a general comment.

"Like buttons", to me, tend to trivialise things, and are also anonymous, so could be used to anonymously bully, or insult someone, depending upon the content of the comment they are "liking".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...