UKC

single speed for countryside rides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 10 Apr 2012
Been debating for months whether to sell my hybrid commuting cycle and get a single speed but I go on the occasional countryside jaunt and some bloke in a cycle shop today told me that I'd pretty much die trying to ride with no gears out of town. I might be able to keep my geared bike but having a mtn bike too, I'd feel greedy having 3. Thoughts? PS I like to go fast!
KevinD 10 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:

three bikes aint greedy.
As for single speed, depends where you ride really and the gearing.
i thought about it but couldnt justify one. Be a nice add on but limiting.
 Andrew G 10 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:

You can ride a single speed in the countryside fine. I did John O'Groats to Lands End summer just gone on a fixed gear bike. The club I ride in has a few people who always ride fixed and regularly do Audax rides on them.
OP jules699 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Andrew G: Really? Thats v interesting to hear. Cheers bud!
 Andrew G 10 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:

You may not be able to go as fast as you normally go. I certainly go faster on my geared bike but you can do a lot of miles on a fixed no problem. Just try and avoid anything too steep!
OP jules699 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Andrew G: booo - i'll stick with gears then!
 doz generale 10 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699: I ride a single speed and it's fixed. was ok when I lived in London. it was perfect for the commute which was pretty flat. I now live in Bristol which is much more hilly and I really wish I had gears. doesn't matter too much about distance but if there are any considerable hills on your jaunts I would get a geared road bike.
OP jules699 10 Apr 2012
In reply to doz generale: ok. cheers, u've confirmed my suspiscions amigo...
 FrankBooth 16 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:
grew up in North Wales in the 70s with Grifters, Choppers and single speed BSAs. If a 10 year old kids can manage...
 Dave B 16 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:

I was happy Upton about 45 miles in Yorkshire when I was riding regularly... After this wanting to free wheel became an overwhelming desire..
 Andy DB 16 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699: Just remember the number of bikes needed is equal to n+1 where n is the current number owned!!!!!
M0nkey 17 Apr 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: did grifters and choppers not have gears though? I'm pretty sure mine did. If i remember rightly the grifter had a grip shift type of system and the chopper had a gear stick mounted on the frame.
 nniff 17 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:

I'm currently riding a fixie around the countryside, and it's good for your fitness. The key thing is to get the gear inches right - google sheldon brown gear ratios - 'gear inches' is the distance you travel for every revolution of the pedals. I've currently got a 70 inch gear (48:18) and that's OK. Good eough to get me up Box Hill in Surrey and over the Malvern Hills, but it's hard work for me - I'm just about totally trashed at the top, but the thing about fixies is that you've got to keep going, so no coasting at the top.

We've recently put together another lovely fixie at home - light as anything and a former track bike with new forks. It still has its track bike gears though - and 49:16 is just too much (that about 82 inches, or another foot for every revolution). At that rate, you feel every little incline, but are really quick on the flat. It makes for some impressive overtaking manoeuvres, especially as the passee doesn't know you're only just managing to hold on to your breakfast!

You'll be fine. I'm in training for a 100km ride around the Surrey Hills - I might bottle it though and borrow a bike with gears - it finishes with a timed lap of Box Hill. 'm somewhat chastened by the LETJOG on a fixie aove though - i might have to man up a bit
 timjones 17 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:
> Been debating for months whether to sell my hybrid commuting cycle and get a single speed but I go on the occasional countryside jaunt and some bloke in a cycle shop today told me that I'd pretty much die trying to ride with no gears out of town. I might be able to keep my geared bike but having a mtn bike too, I'd feel greedy having 3. Thoughts? PS I like to go fast!

It worked fine for me when I was 6 and I'm sure it still works well for many kids today
 steveriley 17 Apr 2012
Think I've done about 75 on my (70") fixie. Lots of people do a lot more. You might find it's the descents that annoy you more than the climbs. And not being able to adjust downstairs.
 Mike Stretford 17 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699: I do some countryside on my singledpeed. The better efficiency gives a little back so a few short hills ar ok. Tried a friends fixie and hated it.... cannot see the point, freewheels are good.
 FrankBooth 17 Apr 2012
In reply to jules699:
just to re-iterate that the guy in the shop was talking nonsense...
http://musicbicycles.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/great-tessie-reynolds.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...