UKC

Decent Family Campsite near Morzine / Les Gets ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanbill99 13 Apr 2012
Can anyone recommend anywhere ?
I've found one just near Les Gets but they don't take bookings - not perfect.
We've got a small campervan.
Thanks !
 DaveHK 13 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99:

Up the hill out of Les Gets you will find the best campsite in the world. La Grange I think it's called
alanbill99 13 Apr 2012
Yep - that's the one I saw - looks perfect but you can't book it !
I've not camped in the Alps before (especially mid Aug!) so I'm expecting it to be rammed. Will I be pleasantly surprised Dave ?
 DaveHK 13 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99:

We tooled up and got a place at the start of July last year.

There is also a campsite at the bottom end of Morzine but it's not nearly so nice.
 pog100 13 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99:

In nearly 40 years of camping, including 10 years of living in Switzerland and thus the Alps, we have never booked a campsite. Seems to spoil the point of camping to me. I don't know that site, but by choosing the day and time you arrive you can usually get onto a site.
We walked the GR5 last August and camped one night at Samoens, there was loads of room on that site. Looked like a good valley for stuff to do too.
 blurty 13 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99:

Mid August in the French alps is when it starts to get quieter
altirando 14 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99: Yeah, there is a day public holiday in France around Aug 15 and there is a general homegoing around that date - avoid being on the road then yourself. Certainly campsites in popular areas will have the 'complet' sign up mid July/mid Aug. Too much to risk with a family. Trying to think of a site near Morzine unsuccessfully. There is a Brit owned hotel in Les Gets. Not sure what your aims are - but as an alternative with lots of interesting little summits think of around Lac Annecy - several campsites including if my memory serves me right one called Lac Bleue right on the lakeside at the eastern end. Got all the facilities including restaurant - although you might be looking for something more basic? Other suggestion for the future - Camping Alpes Dauphine above Gap, restaurant and takeaway, area Champsaur behind superb for family holidays - multi sports opportunities.
 Alpandy 15 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99: I have stayed in camping les marmottes a few times in recent years. It is between Morzine and Les Gets in a small place called Essert Romand.

I don't know how it compares to other campsites in the area having not stayed in any of them but I found it really good. The showers and washing up facilities are always in good nick and the pitches are nice and big. The isn't anything in the village other than a pizza stall but its a short ride down the hill into morzine where you can access the uplifts/shops.

There tends to be a mix of familys and bikers, usually with a fair few brits. The camp site owner is a decent chap and speaks good english. I just reserved a pitch by sending him an email a month before I was due to arrive as it can get quite busy.
alanbill99 16 Apr 2012
Some great advice here guys.
I didn't know about the Bank Holiday in France - anyone know when it is this year ? It's probably the weekend we go (14th). I guess they have a Monday off so the Monday night might be quiter ?
altirando 16 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99: I think the actual date is a religious one, always August 15, people tend to head back from hols the nearest weekend. However, don't take my word - check out the Bison Futee website which gives forecasts of traffic on main routes at the peak holiday times. In your case most of the traffic will be coming back north, but there could still be black spots. Never ever travel out through France on the last weekend in July!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...