UKC

Paramo Velez v Velez Adventure Light Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gavinpeach 18 Apr 2012
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of using the Velez and Velez Adventure Light jackets? I've been told that there is no difference in performance between the two; and that the only difference is the sewed in hood and lighter material on the adventure light, which is perhaps less durable than the velez. Are they both identical performance wise? or is one more advantageous than the other? Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin
 Mark Bull 18 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:

There are actually 3 products: Velez (detachable hood, standard fabric), Velez Adventure (fixed hood, standard fabric), and Velez Adventure Light (fixed hood, lightweight fabric). The lightweight fabric offers less insulation, which may be a plus or a minus depending on what you want to use it for.
OP gavinpeach 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Mark Bull: Thanks for that. Yes, I was aware that there was an Adventure Smock too, but I assumed that it is basically the same as the Velez apart from the hood. Do you know how much extra insulation is offered by the Velez/Adventure than the Lightweight version? Also, are the materials equal in terms of their waterproof/breathability performance? Thanks for your help, Gavin
 Mark Bull 18 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:

> Do you know how much extra insulation is offered by the Velez/Adventure than the Lightweight version?

I've never seen any quantitative measure (such as TOG ratings). What are you wanting to use it for?

> Also, are the materials equal in terms of their waterproof/breathability performance?

I believe so, but again, I've not seen any data to support this.
 Ridge 18 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:
I can't comment on the different fabrics but as you mentioned waterproofing I don't regard the velez design as being particularly good in heavy rain. The neck and side zips will let in water if you end up in driving rain. I think of mine as a very warm windproof that keeps off most of the rain, but I wouldn't choose one if I was after a good quality waterproof.
 mikehike 18 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:
I have the Valez Smock with detachable hood (owned for say 8yr)
I also have the Adventure Light sewn in hood (owned for say 1 yr)

I use the heavier Valez for winter with Cascada pants.

The Adventure Light is much shorter in the body round the front, ie yr goolies get chilled. I use this above 6 Deg C calmer weather.
The Adventure Light also makes a good cycling jacket as the sleeves are longer.
The adventure light is cooler in a cold wind. However its seems as good as the Valez at keeping water out.
OP gavinpeach 18 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach: I would be using it for hiking/climbing in all seasons across the UK. I have a Rab Latok hardshell which I use currently, but the Paramo Velez has been greatly recommended by a range of people, including the instructors on a Mountain Leader Training course I took recently. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on how effective the jackets are. I have been told that Paramo jackets with the right layering underneath will keep you drier than any other brand of jacket, due to their ability to pump away moisture from the body. I've been very impressed by what I've heard so far.
 Mark Bull 19 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:

I don't find the Velez ideal for winter: I like to fill my pockets with spare hats, gloves, map etc., and the single chest pocket isn't big enough.
Also the hood is a fraction on the small side over a helmet.
 Carolyn 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Ridge:

I'm not sure it's the zips? I've stayed as dry as could be expected when fully togged up in rescue kit (Velez, paramo trouser plus harness) in foul weather and out all day - but got wet through to skin with just the jacket and running kit a few weekends ago in similar conditions but only out for a few hours. So my conclusion was it was getting blown up the bottom or wicked in somewhere... or maybe the zips just aren't so exposed when you stick a harness over the top?
 mikehike 21 Apr 2012
In reply to gavinpeach:

Gavin here is a pic album of me in Valez Smock Cascada Pants.
Heavy Rain all day, belaying squating in puddles. My feet were damp the rest of me bone dry, no sweat either. I was most impressed, as my partner was soaked.
https://picasaweb.google.com/117542672402472670569/GearrAonachMiddleSisterG...

mh
 Ron Walker 21 Apr 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:

Been using the Velez Adventure smock all this winter in preference to my much heavier Aspiro smock.
The hood as you say isn't as good over a helmet and the wrist closers being only velcro do not have the additional poppers.
It's also a lot shorter and as someone has already mentioned doesn't protect your lower torso so well, it also works out of your harness if you are not carefull!
It is however a lot lighter for carrying in your rucksack and less bulky so you can see your harness and much better without the irritating Aspiro pit zips that constantly opening.
The lighweight version is definitely not as durable and the unless it was a least 200 grams lighter I'd give it a miss for proper climbing!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...