UKC

Campsite Portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 18 Apr 2012
I'm looking for a campsite on Portland, there's nothing I can see on the Internet but I recall that one of the pubs offered camping over the summer or am I imagining it?

Looking to stay as close as possible to Chesil end of the island and looking to camp or poss bunkhouse? ( but I think that's at the other end?)

I'm looking for somewhere to camp and pitch, no walking please!

Cx
 Oceanrower 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Clears: It must be spring! Nope, sorry, there are currently o campsites on Portland. The Mermaid used to (slightly unofficially) rent out a bit of field but Lee and Dorian have moved on and the Mermaid is no more. I could't condone it myself, of course, but there are a few disused quarries that have been known to have a tent overnight (hint, behind the YMCA) or stay at the YMCA itself. Failing that, a bivvy bag near the Cuttings is also not unknown but PLEASE - in late, out early and clear up everything (even if it isn't yours!)
Don't forget that other people have to live there and climbers are not their own best friends at times!
OP Wonrek 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: Lol, no not climbing this time and looking for the relative comforts of a campsite with a flushing loo! So I wasn't imagining the pub camping then.

Doing the CTS marathon there next month so want somewhere to stay the night before.

Where on the island is the YMCA?

Cx
 Oceanrower 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Clears: Reforne, between Easton and Weston slightly downhill and the other side of the road to The George pub.
OP Wonrek 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: Not quite where I wanted to be but thanks for the idea.....

I've just found the YHA which is up near the start. If I can't find camping (which I'd prefer) then the YHA looks good.

Campsites?

Cx
 j_duds 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Clears:
I don't think there are any campsites on portland Island, nearest ones are weymouth (rubbish and expensive), Ossmington mills, or west/east fleet, or sea barn etc.. do google search they should come up.

cheers
John
 nealh 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Clears: The YHA does allow some camping in their grounds, some of my friends used it over Easter and were pretty happy with this arrangement, as you have full use of their facilities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...