UKC

Gorms plateau for ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The plateau was totally white today. I don't think the base is great and I'm not sure how deep the snow is but touring looked good today.
 dmhigg 22 Apr 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Very good, but sticky. I put skis on/off at the first zig zag in Coire Cas, and then up Macdhui and back. Excellent cover, but even with my downhill teles I only needed skins to the top of Fiacaill a Choire Chais. Very quiet, good visibility, crowds on Cairngorm. Skiing down the top of Coire Cas was like ploughing through wet cement.
 James Edwards 22 Apr 2012
In reply to dmhigg:
Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed that it will stay covered (forecast indicates a top up). I'm hoping to get out in the evening after work on the planks avec head torch. What a bizarre end to a terrible touring season!
James
 dmhigg 23 Apr 2012
In reply to James Edwards: It might be better at night. Sunday was quite warm: the longish descent off the N. top was a bit colder and good skiing.
 AG 24 Apr 2012
In reply to dmhigg: I was up skiing (on the runs) with my kid on sunday . I did manage to hike to the summit and ski off the top down the north side - it was excellent. Snow was soft but quite silky/ spring like. The cover should improve this week above 800m or so.
Some reports on winterhighland from the weekend over the back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...