UKC

The mysterious "old town quarry" in Weston Super Mare???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Quarryboy 24 Apr 2012
I had noticed this quarry on numerous occasions from a window at Weston college where I study and only today finally bothered to walk over to it and have a proper look.

When I got there I was actually suprisingly impressed by its scale and atmosphere. This thing is definitely one of the more impressive quarries around with some really awesome looking lines on from what I could see as pretty good rock. Walked closer to it and was asked what I wanted by someone who worked in some kind of DIY shop nearby.

I asked if he knew of anyone who had ever done any routes there and he told me about how climbing was very dangerous and that no one had ever climbed there before. from the tone of his voice I also gathered that someone must own it and that whoever this was just didn't want climbers there at all.

Anyone else know anything about this rater large but mysterious quarry in the Weston Super Mare hillside? dead curious now.
 deepstar 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:
> I had noticed this quarry on numerous occasions from a window at Weston college
>
> When I got there I was actually suprisingly impressed by its scale and atmosphere.

I think you are right about the atmosphere of the quarry,those leaning walls over to the left look as though there could be some serious lines and maybe the bays to the right could provide some easier stuff.Did you notice the Red Wall on the extreme right with the pipe descending from the top? Weston`s own Via Ferrata!
OP Quarryboy 24 Apr 2012
In reply to deepstar:

Yeah it looks pretty impressive, do you know if anyone ever done any climbing there?
 deepstar 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: I have done a little bit of research but have`nt been able to find out anything,mysterious indeed.
 Dopey_172 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: Is this the quarry you mean?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=552
If so there is more info about it in the Avon and Cheddar guide.
 deepstar 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Dopey_172: The Quarry in the thread is "Old Town Quarry" not "Wood Lane Quarry".
 Dopey_172 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: Ah ok no problem, I was down in Weston recently but I don't know the area that well. When I was down I was curious if anyone had done any climbing in the quarry with the big amphitheatre thing recently.
 deepstar 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Dopey_172:
> I was curious if anyone had done any climbing in the quarry with the big amphitheatre thing recently.
I went to Wood Lane Quarry earlier this month to take some crag shots and was
impressed by the new fence which although mentioned in the Avon and Cheddar guide should put off all but the most keen climbers,it is the sort of barrier normally seen round power stations etc.Looking at the state of the rock and undergrowth I would`nt have thought that there had been much activity in the quarry lately although the few in-situ pegs don`t look that rusty.I noticed that part of "The Shield" on Shield Wall has fallen off and in the rock fall below it are some plastic flowers,is this some sort of memorial?
 ChrisJD 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:

Get a good view of it in Google Street view from here:

51.355965,-2.978325
 Lankyman 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/68777 and http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1555125

"Now a nature reserve, with craft workshops, a wonderful organic cafe and Weston's only composting toilet". I think you'll struggle to get permission but - fortune favours the bold?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...