UKC

Spinal fusion surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steve taylor 17 May 2012
Looks like I'm heading for spinal fusion surgery (L4/L5) to deal with a knackered, painful disc in my lower back

Do anyone have experience of such a procedure, and the prognosis for getting back into climbing post-op?

Bobz 17 May 2012
In reply to steve taylor: I know my aunt had that operation. She is fine now, but not a climber (!) so am not sure how you will be affected. She has to tkae pain killers occasinally as not fully comfortable all the time, but apart from that is all fine.
 pork pie girl 17 May 2012
In reply to steve taylor:

don't know much about the procedure at all mate but i take it you've explored all alternatives including sessions with a chiropractor?
 owlart 17 May 2012
In reply to steve taylor: I had two cervical vertebrae fused witha metal cage getting on for two years ago. Whilst I haven't yet plucked up the courage to go back climbing (I probably should!) I'm back playing badminton etc., and only have occasional minor discomfort from it. The improvement was remarkable from the moment I woke up from the anaesthetic!
 JH74 17 May 2012
In reply to pork pie girl:

Or other/better health professionals than that even. I'm sure he has. Doesn't strike me as the kind of thing one enters into lightly.

I would imagine that this kind of operation has a very good trouble free success rate these days. They must do alot of them, it's a very common injury.
 Ciro 17 May 2012
In reply to JH74:

It's worth asking - doctors will often recommend a course of treatment based on the needs of a "normal" person and not consider the potential impact on your sports.

My understanding* is your body can fully repair a disc injury up to about the age of 60, if you're prepared to go through the rehab time. The first time I suffered a herniated disc I was back to normal in about a year with conservative rehabilition. The second time was much more severe, and after 12 months of slow progress I was still in an awful lot of pain so I reluctantly went to see an orthopeadic surgeon. He was an ex triathlete, so he was more sympathetic to my desire to avoid any surgery that might impede my sports participation at a later date than my GP (who thought I was crazy). He was looking at a discectomy rather than a fusion, and said he could sort my problem immediately, but even if it went well, there was a chance of permanent issues that might impede my training. Thankfully, he was confident I wouldn't be doing any further damage by going back to training as hard as it would allow whilst I waited for it to heal - just cause myself a lot of pain. I was out of sport completely for 9 months, took two years for the disc to fully heal, and another two to get the flexibility back that I lost while protecting the area - at times I wondered if it was all worth it but now I'm glad I didn't take the chance on permanent problems.

* I have no medical training whatsoever, so make of it what you will
 Ciro 17 May 2012
> I would imagine that this kind of operation has a very good trouble free success rate these days. They must do alot of them, it's a very common injury.

Even if it goes perfectly, it can lead to "adjacent level" degeneration later in life, as it creates uneven load on the other segments of the spine
mick taylor 17 May 2012

I had most of a disc removed from lower back (and kept it in a jar for a wee while!). Put on weight, started work and family came along - all these reducing climbing ability. However, still manage to ice climb well with basically no practice and some weight training (up to WI 5) and reckon that with a diet and getting out cragging could climb to within a grade or 2 of what I was doing before. Bouldering would be difficult (the falling off bit).

Without the op, my climbing would be zero.

Hope all goes well, Mick

I had my lower back (around L1 / L2) reconstructed with metal work after I smashed it up in an accident. They didn't fuse anything but three vertebra were fixed together with pins and rods. I was completely out of action for 3 months and started easy climbing after about 6 months. I started training harder after about 12 months and returned to my previous level within another 6 months.

The main long term effect was that I was worried about falling and causing further damage but eventually got over that. I still minimise falling e.g if I'm pushing my limit on a sport route I tend to top rope it first rather than take lots of lead falls. It was 10 years ago and don't notice it now and haven't had any other back problems. Being a climber and having a strong core should help the recovery.

You will also have very good excuse if you bottle it on a route, I've used it a few times.

Good luck.
OP steve taylor 18 May 2012
In reply to Unknown Climber:

The damage occurred last July. I've been trying rehab exercises over the last 8 months or so with little improvement. I've just had a weekend in Font and was unable to commit to anything hard as jumping off out of control was painful.

Luckily one of my climbing/training partners is an experienced chiro, so I'll be discussing all of my options with him, but the surgeon thought that I had probably reached the limit of what rehab could achieve. Mind you, BUPA will be paying him a lot of money to do the operation on me!
 JH74 18 May 2012

Wow! 8 months seems quite a brief amount of time to consider having this op. I was quite surprised to hear this.

What are your symptoms apart from not being able to jump off out of control on boulder problems?! To be honest I had to write such things off long ago; it seemed a very small price to pay to be able to continue leading sport and trad etc.

Have you been 1 on 1 with an experienced remedial pilates instructor for more than 10 sessions?

My view is changing on this one. Would be interested to hear how it affects your every day life and not just bouldering.

Best, J.

JH74 18 May 2012
In reply to JH74:

And what was the initial accident last July?
 Tradlad 18 May 2012
In reply to steve taylor: Hi steve,

i had L4/L5 disc trouble and at times do still suffer with a small amount of pain, usually when the weather is very cold and damp... i had the option to have the operation like you plan to do.. the year before my accident , a mate had the very same L4/5 Problems... he took the operation route and although he can do stuff again , he's not great still..

the recommendation of the spinal surgeon was for me to first try cortisone injections. on the way to the hospital with my L4/5 operation mate told me he still has an amount of trouble and now wished he had first tried the cortisone.... the injection was F@$kin painful.. the nurse holding my arms out straight in broken English ' why are you laughing'- (tears in eyes at this point) ' i said, that if i don't laugh i'll f@$kin cry .

two weeks after the injection , i went from not being able to walk very well to walking into crags with a full rack of gear ,ropes etc and climbing single and multi pitch routes again.

Im so glad the injection worked for me.. Someone posted that the body can and does heal its self. i would agree.. it just needs time .. Also , try Yoga. i now do yoga on a daily basis and it does help, a lot!..

I didn't take the prescribed medication the doctors kept giving me,, i figure they mask the problems and you can do more damage. .. i smoked weed instead and took lsd.. you may not like the idea of that but it relaxed my body enough to not be stressed out about the pain and i actually started to slowly get better from Yoga ( a lot), determined and wilful mindset to get better , encouragement from friends

climbing wise, i keep away from indoor walls because i feel the moves are not natural, i will not do big boulder routes and i wont really climb above VS on short routes, longer routes are great i reakon too because climbing really helps you lower back!( it did me anyway)....... i will say it was an experience i would not like t repeat and i really feel for you mate....

I hope you get well soon mate... Its a long road, but You WILL come through the other side a stronger character ..

All the luck on the world and Universal energy sent you way....

;O)
 JH74 18 May 2012
In reply to Tradlad:

When did you have your Cortizone injections? Have you had to repeat them?
 Tradlad 18 May 2012
In reply to JH74: No ive not had a repeat.. i do have to manage my back... as said, Yoga & Meditation are now a key part of my life and existence.

looking back, It was an experience i am now glad that i had.. It brought me to my knees on every level and made me realise the way i had been living my life , i was not in tune with the natural order of things... I wouldn't have found all the amazing things that are now in my life if this had not happened.

The body does heal itself given time, My discs were slowly starting to repair themselves, the injection gave my lower back a head start on the process.
In reply to JH74:

The initial damage came from when I was judging at Cliffhanger in July last year - I was sat in a crouched position for 2 days (so that the audience didn't have their view blocked!!!), getting up and down >100 times in each session. The pain started kicking on the day after and I was struggling to move at all for a week or two afterwards.

I've not really been training/climbing in the intervening period at all, other than a couple of random wall sessions and a recent w/e in Font.

Climbing overhanging rock hurts, as pulling my hips in to stay in balance is painful. TBH, I'm in pain all of the time, unless in a very "proper" sitting position or lying on my back. However, the usual pain is very much background, except when I stand up from a seated position or cycle for >1 hour. I can't do simple things like tie a shoe lace, carry rubbish out to the bins, weed my allotment without being <really> careful and suffering some pain.

My sports-plan was to start training again this coming winter and return to hard (for me that's F7a and above) outdoor climbing next spring. However, unless my back improves I'm not going to be able to train at all.

Must admit, after reading last night about the impact that the surgery will have for 6-12 months after, I'm probably going to opt for further physio for 3 months - the description of the operation is grim (bone grafts etc). If the physio doesn't start to help, then I'll reconsider surgery.
In reply to Tradlad:

Anything more than paracetemol or brufen gives me constipation. Doing any form of illegal drug-taking could get me sacked (I often work on safety-critical projects).

No-one's recommended cortisone yet - the MRI scans show a very clear thinning and distortion of the disc plus a fair bit of inflammation, so not sure it would help.

Can't avoid the climbing wall if I want to get back into the E-grades and F7s.

Cheers for the support!
 CurlyStevo 18 May 2012
Can I ask what exercises you are doing for it. I also suffer from bad backs and find the following massivley helpfull.

Up Dog Yoga stretches (I start with these)
Plank (hold 2 mins)
Pelvic Tilt
Pelvic raises (hold 3 mins)
Crunches (do not go up past middle of back on floor)
Diagonal arm leg stretches (crawl position, stretch left arm and right leg straight hold for 3 secs, alternate and repeat)
Finally lie on back, thighs 90 degrees to floor, knees 90 degrees arms out to side, palms down, twist hips / legs so knees near floor to side then back up and to the other side, this last one REALLY helps me.

You can also self massage by lieing on your back feet towards bum, hands around knees and rock gently side to side.
 Tradlad 18 May 2012

ask about cortisone... i was fortunate enough that i could take the time out to rest and let my body heal... Dont know your circumstances but if you can take time out of the rat race then it will pay dividends in terms of your heath.. From what i remember the operation has a very high rate of success, however, and i dot mean to make you worry here, but there is also the chance of complications and you ending up the same or worse... its a very hard call when your faced with the knife or alternative methods.

well all i can say with regard to the climbing wall and getting back to your top grades is that those climbs will be there next year or the year afterwards. have you read moffats book revelations.. he didnt climb for two years with the arm injuries , once well again, he trained hard and won the world championships in sheffield. maybe some inspiration for you?... you wouldnt keep you motorcar running on three cylinders for long would you or low on lubricants?.... you know it does more damage!. .

I suppose it all depends on what you want more,, keep climbing a respectable grade and being in pain or getting well and then starting to train and climb again. ...

in any event... your the master of your own reality ....

let me know how you get on over the coming months..

warm regards

JH74 18 May 2012

Hey Steve,

Cortisone is a strong anti-inflam delivered straight to the problem area so could actually help. As far as medical/intrusive/intervention goes it's the only thing that I did briefly consider.

You can largely ignore the LSD and weed thing - I would say that's specific to Tradlad(!) tho I enjoy a puff too.

I would suggest that you do the 10 private sessions with a proper Pilates person before doing anything else. Deep stretching or Yoga is, I feel, really unlikely to do any good at this stage. Without looking at you, you need support I would say, not pulling apart.

Re symptoms. Not taking anything away from 'your pain' but they don't sound bad enough to warrant spinal fusion surgery after 8 months. I know it can wear one down though.

Try and talk to someone who has been there and has fixed themselves up without intervention. Call Pilates Foundation or the Yoga equivalent or do searches to find inspirational people. Within reason it's all about self-help.

As Tradlad suggested (and I would say the same for myself) overall it can be a positive thing to be so low and build yourself back up.
 Ciro 18 May 2012
> Climbing overhanging rock hurts, as pulling my hips in to stay in balance is painful. TBH, I'm in pain all of the time, unless in a very "proper" sitting position or lying on my back. However, the usual pain is very much background, except when I stand up from a seated position or cycle for >1 hour. I can't do simple things like tie a shoe lace, carry rubbish out to the bins, weed my allotment without being <really> careful and suffering some pain.

This all sounds painfully familiar, but I'd say it was a good 12 months before I would have described my condition like that, so I reckon there's still reason to be optimistic about a conservative approach. I'm not going to pretend it was a lot of fun, but yoga, mobilisation by an osteo and lots of swimming (front crawl only, *never* breast stroke) and time got me back to good as new
 JH74 18 May 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Almost all of those, whilst helpful to you, may be antagonising or useless to Steve which is why it's better for him to go and see someone.

The last one which you say really helped you could be crippling to someone who ain't ready so beware!
 JH74 18 May 2012
In reply to Tradlad:

That's a great story. I love to read that kind of thing. Good reasons to stay away from the knife (and I would argue the acid?!)

CurlyStevo 18 May 2012
In reply to JH74:
I didn't suggest he does them I put them there so he can evaluate them himself. I was nearly falling over in random spasm pain over xmas after nearly a year of bad backs that would even wake me up in the night with pain.

My back pain is a recurrent lower back problem around L4 area and these exercises sorted me right out! I found them all using google for lower back problems. The NHS physio was next to useless last time I went and the problem self healed over a very long time period.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Well, BUPA has got me thus far, and I can get physio prescribed under BUPA too, so that's what I'll be discussing with the surgeon next week.

Some of the exercises described above are what I'm doing (bird dog, crunches, side planks are the main ones) but I probably need someone standing over me with a stick to make sure I'm doing them properly/regularly enough. At least if I follow a strict physio regime then I'll know I've tried.
 Tradlad 18 May 2012
In reply to JH74: :O)

Im not advising anything here, just the main things that really helped me a lot...

the weed thing helped me for sure as most of my back was over compensating for the injury , i was as tense and ridged as a nun in a brothel .. it relaxed me, helped me get quality sleep, which is important for a healing body .It allowed me to live that part of the journey without feeling i was living in a pain amplifier. the Lsd took me to wild places and stopped the boredom, expanded my consciousness , i realised the beauty of all things. Think what you will, it helped me recover and i was open and honest with my doctor, who off the record said it would not do me any more harm than the list of prescribed drugs he offered me.

Lots of water re hydrated me and i think that's a key thing too... no beer, little tea or coffee.... a good clean diet of lots of raw veg and making soup once i could stand again,, an amazing and very rewarding pastime! .... Good friends are massively important. i was lucky in that i had a mate who had been there and i made my mates re birth from his disc problems my goal to recovery without surgery .

as said by , finding a good Yoga/ Pilates teacher will really pay dividends. I found a great Yoga teacher who took her time with me, helped me along the path of Physical , Spiritual and Psychological Rebirth .

physiotherapy didn't do much to help me, NHS or private,, they were more concerned about filing paperwork out or taking money from me, having trainee Physio's sit in and watch (for which they got extra cash for doing so). You'd be better of finding someone who actually cares ..

I reakon, that in today's western world we are all caught up in the moment, needing to achieve and perform 24/7, the need it now, quick fix philosophy doesn't always work... such as a back operation.. fitting to much in and over spreading an already over stretched physical body. Yvon Chouinard once said ' Turn around and take three steps forward' , from where im looking he's right....

Anyway, you make your own choices in this life with regards to your health. I wouldn't go looking at surgery until i had explored alternative things....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...