UKC

Dogs on Hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ozbaker 25 May 2012
Hi all,

I know this has been done before but I'd appreciate any advice offered.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on training pups/young dogs for days out in the hills, scrambeling climbing etc.

Thanks, Oz.
 johnnorman 25 May 2012
In reply to ozbaker:

Dont take young puppies for full hill days, its bad for their joints !
 Milesy 25 May 2012
Aye. I didnt take my dog out untill she was a year old.
In reply to ozbaker: Start off slow and steady. depending on the breed you could take them for relatively long days around 8 months on wards though 1 year is better if you don't want them to develop arthiritis etc. I would just work on call back and stay commands in the meantime as it only takes them to chase one sheep for them to end up in trouble (cliffs, farmers, etc).

I would recommend feeding them a high quality working dog feed like CSJ or eukanuba and make sure it's high protein for puppies.

I have a 7 month Collie and he is very adept at scrambling already though I have to be careful he's not taking too many risks as they can be a little fearless!
OP ozbaker 28 May 2012
In reply to ozbaker: Thanks guys, i've got us booked in for some puppy classes and maybe some agility type shizzle.
We've got loads of walking to be had around so will start with that.
Hopefully the more time we spend in the hills togeather, the calmer she will be arround livestock etc?
Oz.
 Banned User 77 28 May 2012
In reply to ozbaker: Depends on the dog. I've had mine out since 3 months old.

Ruffwear harnesses are great for passing them up rock steps..

Main thing is watch feet, provide plenty of water, watch out on hot days, and watch how they are after a long day. Mines been out for 16+ hr days with me.
 David Hooper 28 May 2012
In reply to ozbaker: iif you have a puppy its too young for agility - even adult dogs get cruciate injuries. Be guided by your puppies pace and don't drag it on long days that you want to do. Watch jumping descents with soft developing bones. Around 18 months should be developed enough to gently buid up to big full days. Quality hill snax,lot's of water,develop your livestock training early.
In reply to deepstar: checked your link and saw this one...sweaty palms..

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Woman_80_in_sky-dive_near_disaster
 deepstar 28 May 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to deepstar) checked your link and saw this one...sweaty palms..
>
> http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Woman_80_in_sky-dive_near_disaster

Stroll On! I think Mypyrex should try that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...