UKC

Olympic flame trained to top of Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris_Mellor 30 May 2012
Today's papers showed Bonnigton on the top of Snowdon holding up the Olympic flame. Turns out he took the train up. I thought the Flame Relay was about runners carrying the flame from place to place. Okay, it's all spoinsored marketing crap anyway but having the dratted thing taken up to the top of Snowdon by the train is just a joke.

Why Bonnington would have anything to do with such a sporting travesty is beyond me.
In reply to Chris_Mellor: Go on, admit it; you're jealous, aren't you?

T.
 toad 30 May 2012
In reply to Chris_Mellor: went on a boat trip today!

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2012-05-30/flame-crosses-pontcysyllte-...

Lovely restoration job on "Saturn", but I don't know how it fits into a sporting event
 EZ 30 May 2012
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

I totally agree. Mr Bonnington has lost all self esteem apparently. Still, it's just another example of the dog and pony show that is 21st century media and the crap that is fed to the masses... and they keep lapping it up hahahaha. What a weak and manipulated society we have!

On your marks, get set, go........................
 GrahamD 30 May 2012

It does the majority of the journey in a transit van so the iconic train up Snowdon is not that out of keeping. I'm sure Sir Christian would have been just as happy to walk up (he might even still be up to jogging up) if had been down to him.
 Sir Chasm 30 May 2012
In reply to EZ: Are you weak and manipulated? Or do you mean the plebs?
 MHutch 30 May 2012

I heard he drove it up in a Frontera covered in Coke logos.
 Tiberius 30 May 2012
> Why Bonnington would have anything to do with such a sporting travesty is beyond me.

There's a great passage in Ron Fawcett's biography where Pete Liversy is climbing above Bonnington waving a bunch of fivers at him to get him to climb up quicker
 EeeByGum 30 May 2012
> but having the dratted thing taken up to the top of Snowdon by the train is just a joke.

Why? Most people associate Snowdon with the train. It has after all, been there longer than you have been around. It is all very well getting all uppity about the environment, but that has already been shot to pieces by the fact that it is taking about 300 people to keep the torch going.

> Why Bonnington would have anything to do with such a sporting travesty is beyond me.

If you were asked to participate in one of the most iconic moments of a once-in-a-lifetime event would you really turn it down?

Stop being a fuddy duddy and crawl back into your hole.
In reply to Chris_Mellor: It must have been an express train as it usually takes over an hour to get up on the train whereas it's possible to run to the summit in less than 1 hour.
 mypyrex 30 May 2012
In reply to Chris_Mellor: Does the Snowdon Mountain Railway own any of the summit area? I'm wondering if they insisted on it going on the train as a bit of publicity. There again perhaps I'm being cynical
 TobyA 30 May 2012
In reply to EZ:

> I totally agree. Mr Bonnington has lost all self esteem apparently. Still, it's just another example of the dog and pony show that is 21st century media and the crap that is fed to the masses... and they keep lapping it up hahahaha. What a weak and manipulated society we have!

I'm surprised you don't just have a link to a scary film on youtube that proves this.
 jules699 30 May 2012
In reply to Chris_Mellor: Maybe they thought if he hiked up with it, it would present too much of a security issue of some welsh sheep (or any random for that matter) coming along and nabbing it?
 EZ 30 May 2012
In reply to TobyA:

No but I can link to some irony...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67150

Maybe the top photo's caption should read "Chris Bonnington, 78 and still catching trains"
 EZ 30 May 2012
In reply to jules699:

Thinking about it it would take too long for the flame to do the snowdon walk. They need photo ops for media display rather than needing achievement.
 kiwi boy 31 May 2012
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to eroica64)
>
> I heard he drove it up in a Frontera covered in Coke logos.

Brilliant!
KTT 31 May 2012
In reply to Chris_Mellor: How did they 'train' the flame?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...