UKC

Head torch for night navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gable2uk 03 Jun 2012
Im after a new head torch to do some night navigation any ideas?
Flat4matt 03 Jun 2012
In reply to gable2uk:
Alpkit gamma. Cracking bit of kit. Different coloured leds, ideal for night navigation!!!
 butteredfrog 03 Jun 2012
In reply to gable2uk:

Somthing with a spot is useful, handy to have a bit of range when looking for features.
 alasdair19 03 Jun 2012
In reply to gable2uk: the most powerful one you can justify, worth having your assessment in june too.

was blown away by a mates BD space shot perhaps though they've probably brought out a better one now.
 sbc_10 03 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19:
>..... they've probably brought out a better one now.

Yes I'm sure I saw an advert for the new Icon with 200 lumens.
In fact here it is
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/icon-head...

kestrelspl 03 Jun 2012
In reply to gable2uk: It depends on how much night navigation you'll be doing. I used a petzl tikka 2 for the night nav on my ML with no problems, if it's something you want to do frequently though you might want something a bit more powerful like the myo xp.
In reply to gable2uk: LED Lenser make a few good head torches. Another good idea is to have a mediocre head torch and a really powerful handtorch like the LED Lenser P7 or similar so you're not blindin everyone when you're talking to them.
 dazmac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to gable2uk: I have the BD Icon, used it on my ML night nav in fowl conditions and was glad I had it would have struggled with a tika or ion rain on glasses on map and on compass. some have described these as only good for reading a book in a tent.

if i was getting myself down any light would be ok if I had a group with me I would want as much light as possible
 Martin W 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac:
> (In reply to gable2uk) I have the BD Icon, used it on my ML night nav in fowl conditions

If you hadn't had such a good head torch I guess you might have had to chicken out...
 dazmac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Martin W: The advice I got from freinds and instructors was make it as easy as possible for yourself on the assesment ie good head torch, I had a spare ion i had borrowed of a mate as backup.
 Taurig 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to dazmac)
> [...]
>
> If you hadn't had such a good head torch I guess you might have had to chicken out...

At the very least he'd have to duck under some cover to read the map...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...