UKC

Marmot M Series comparison?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bertbee 07 Jun 2012
I've just bought the Tempo Hoody, which is in their M3 material, but am reluctant to take the labels off until I heed more advice. I've checked through the boards, but couldn't find anything giving advice/opinions on the various M-series softshells that Marmot do. The more I read the more I'm left in doubt by the varying amounts of 'technical' information.

The M3 material is described as being 'designed for moving light and fast. They combine stretchable, water repellent, abrasion resistant and highly breathable shell materials with insulating buffer materials on the inside. M3 shells are the most breathable in the M-series. They are best for high aerobic use in mild conditions'.

But - does anybody know if this Tempo Hoody is going to keep me remotely warm sat on top of the Cow and Calf bringing up a seconder in April (and be good to climb in on the way up)? Will the material go to sh*t the first time I elegantly belly-flop over the top of flying arete?

I'm not going to be trudging around in snow in this; I'm trying to cover the cold'n'windy spring days through to keeping warm between bouldering in our 'summer'.
 gear boy 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Bertbee:
Mate climbs in Tempo, seems plenty abraison resistant enough and keeps enough of the chill wind out, he has had it a while and it always seems to be with him

Lighter weight "softshells" like this are not designed to insulate but to keep the wind and light damp off, if its cold you will want a light fleece underneath, advantage, you can wear it when its 20 deg C and windy and not be too hot
 Plungeman 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Bertbee:

I got the Tempo jacket to use as a winter mid layer and summer outer last year and have had no trouble with it so far in terms of wear and tear. It's actually proved to keep me warmer whilst moving than I'd expected, good windbreak and water resistance too - I barely used my hardshell this winter (when it wasn't raining).

From what you're saying about what you intend to use it for, it's certainly nothing I'd have second thoughts about using mine for.

As a comparison a friend of mine has the Leadville (essentially the same jacket but in M2) and I've personally found it to be too warm although the material is clearly tougher. Oddly there's a mismatch in the layout of the pockets with the zippers on the Tempo giving access directly into the lining - enough room for a bottle of wine in each pocket - whereas the Leadville's are regular size and shape. I've also been known to use the pockets for gloves, guidebooks and maps on occasion with enough room to slide them up above waist straps on rucksacks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...