UKC

Black mould in hydration systems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Hooper 29 Jun 2012
Hi Guys

My old camelback had been for various reasons,been left festering for a year.

Despite being given an overnight soaking in a strong Milton solution, the black is still there.

Is this just cosmetic,or is it harmful and Imbetter getting a new tube and bladder.

Thankyou in advance for the answers

Cheers

Davis
 marsbar 29 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Is it anywhere you can get a brush at it?
 Gazlynn 29 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

I can't help with the black mould

I have got an as new 2ltr Source bladder like this

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Source-Clear-2L.html

I have only used it once and didn't like concept.

Stick a tenner in your charity and I will post it to you?

cheers

Gaz

lone 29 Jun 2012

I'd replace it, black mold is a serious threat if ingested, it’s the bacteria that are inside the system that’s dangerous to you.

If you want to try to clean it, then do it thoroughly, with bleach, Chemical reactions in the bleach will kill everything but you’ll need to get that solution into all areas of the water system, let it soak a while in very hot water to clean the entire system from bladder to the end you bite to drink.

Bicarbonate soda is ideal for the mold removal as it’s abrasive; you can get cleaning utensils for the camelback to clean tubes etc. The problem is the bits you can’t reach, so really it would be ideal to replace the whole system otherwise.

Jason
johnj 29 Jun 2012

You can get cleaning kits and pull though brush for the tube to keep clean, people recommend once clean storing in freezer to stop mold returning, I've drank through discolored tubes for a good while and it doesn't seem to do any harm, but then have just chucked a bladder because of this problem, the new one has some antibacterial coating on, it does taste a bit different.
 toad 29 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Given your digestive system has already been messed around with by the quack, I'd get a new one.

I have never had the courage to look in the water tank on my boat. Tend to carry drinking water separately to be on the safe side
 Jonay 29 Jun 2012
In reply to lone:

ooops, I've been drinking out my bladder with this black spotting on my tube for ages now.. I haven't had any rough reactions though.

*drops dead at computer*
OP David Hooper 29 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: thanks guys,I will play on the safe side and buy a new bladder and then maintain it properly.
OP David Hooper 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Gazlynn: Thanks for kind offer,but I will stick with camelback.pleasefeel free to donate though
 wilkesley 29 Jun 2012

Once you have got it clean, or bought a new one, I would suggest storing it in the freezer. I do this with my Platypus bottles and it stops the mould growing.
 tony 29 Jun 2012
In reply to wilkesley:

I'd second that suggestion. I've been doing it for a few years and haven't any problems with mold.
 mattrm 29 Jun 2012

Freezer ++ it's what I've always done. Works a treat.
 LastBoyScout 29 Jun 2012

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/camelbak/antidote-cleaning-kit-ec025684...

There are a couple of versions, depending what bladder you've got.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...