UKC

Router/modem issues, calling the ICT wisdom of UKC!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arjen 06 Jul 2012
Right, another ICT problem in tha house.

We have a standard modem in the house with a cable DSL connection. The modem is connected to a TP-Link router. The issue is, I just got home and found out that there's no internet.
One of my lovely flatmates somehow managed to remove the power supply from the router, so the internet was off. I just put the connector back into the thing, but still no internet.
If I connect my computer (a mac) directly to the router (with a cable), in network preferences it says that my computer is 'connected' and shows a green dot and it gives me an IP address (something ending on .100). However, there's no internet which is a bit strange. On the router, the 'PWR', 'SYS', WLAN and WAN lights are blinking and if I connect my computer to port #3, the light for #3 is blinking too. However, no internet connection.

Anyone any idea what can be the issue here? It shouldn't be an ISP issue, since I'm now mooching off the wireless from the neighbours! (with permission...)
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

What is the make and model of the modem and the model of the router please?
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Hey, it is a TP-link wr1043ND
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:
And what about the cable modem please?
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Thats a Cisco EPC3208
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

I read some stuff that it could have to do with PPPoA stuff? Can it be that after being powered-off for a while (say a night or so, no clue how long the router was without power) that the settings were changed? The password is at least not reset.
I'm a bit afraid to reset the router, as I don't have the logins to the ISP, this is a 'provided' internet by the university...
 another_mark 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

Turn everything off, then turn them on one-by-one starting at the internet end and working out - give each device a minute to get started before turning on the next item in the chain.

Most likely something wrong with dhcp or dns - forcing a reset and making sure the server side syuff is on first is usually a good bet.
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to another_mark:

I just did that, but no luck. The modem comes online normally and the same lights blink on the router as before.

Should I be able to connect directly to the modem, with no router in between?
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

The pppoa/pppoe detail will be available from the university if the modem connects to them as the ISP.

The user guide for your cable modem is here: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3200_Series/402...
I would download it to your PC whilst you have access to the web.

Likewise for the TP-link device: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR1043ND&version=V...

Certainly get the connection details from the university if the devices appear to be working properly then check that they are correct.
If you get to that point because a power reset doesn't solve it as another_mark describes then feel free to PM me and I'll look properly at those guides and talk you through it.
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

The if the mac describes itself as connected then yes. The modem is for ISP connection and doesn't require a router. The router is for either/and providing wifi/connecting multiple computers to the modem. The modem translates an IP to the router and so will do the same for a computer.
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Cheers, I just connected directly to the modem, and it has the same symptoms - in system preferences it says that it is connected, but no internet connection...
Time to call the ISP?
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

Certainly time to call the ISP.

When you get back to it, keep the router out of the equation until you've solved the problem.
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Right, these university-housing people are idiots. The local ISP sends the bills to us, and I send them on to these housing people. I just called the ISP, and the bills were simply not paid.
Absolute f*ckwits, sorry for wasting your time all.
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Arjen:

Hahaha. Godamnit! Good effort on the investigation though.
OP Arjen 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Yeah, cheers for your help anyway! I send those university people a peppered email that we're not particularly impressed with their financial administration...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...