UKC

MTB Tyre Choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Johno 07 Jul 2012
Hi,
can anybody advise on a tyre choice. I am uming and aring between Maxxis Highroller XC (£18.99 of CRC) tyre and a Continental Mountain King II (£13.99 of CRC).
I mainly ride single track in the Forest of Dean and other areas similar to this. Also XC in places like the Black Mountain etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Colin
In reply to boobie: Aviod the mountain King at all costs. it has a tendancy to 'let go' at the most inopportune moments. The high rollers have a good following but I am using Rubber queens and find them excellent.
 David Hooper 07 Jul 2012
In reply to boobie: High Rollers have far better grip and more puncture resistance than Contis, but heavier and slower.

The new High Roller II just got a 10/10 review in this months mags.

Another option would be the Maxxis Ardent if the High Roller is more thAN YOU NEED.
geologist 07 Jul 2012
In reply to boobie:

Minions all the time for me , except for in the gloop where the Mud X's come out.

High rollers are a good solid allrounder for the FoD and Black Mountains.
 Frank4short 07 Jul 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to boobie) Aviod the mountain King at all costs. it has a tendancy to 'let go' at the most inopportune moments.

That's the Mountain King I, not the Mountain King II. Though my personnal feeling is that unless you can afford to plump for the black chilli compound continentals (which is made of unicorn horn and virgins tears as far as I can tell cause it's pure magic) they're probably not worth buying. As they certainly don't have any significant advantage over any other tyres.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...