UKC

First carbon road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am currently looking for my next Sportive bike after having a Specialized Secteur Elite for a couple of years, and loving it. Probably looking at a comp, like to go up from 105 to Ultegra (also consider Camp) and a carbon frame. Comfort more important than speed.

So far I like the look of...

Bianchi Sempre Ultegra
Spesh Roubaix Comp
Trek Madone 3.5
Focus Izalco Pro 3
Giant Defy ?

The Roubaix's a nobrainer as it's the Secteur in carbon but it's expensive and I'd like a change too. Budget £1.5k - £2k.

Any thoughts on these bikes, or others? I plan at least another couple of months shopping as I love this bit
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: Planet X and Ribble offer more bang for your buck
 tim000 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: ive got a focus cayo and love it . great bike .
skarabrae 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: are these any good?

http://azione.cc/
 shaggypops 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: Im lookin at the beone typhoon comfort on chainreaction for my first dip into the world of carbon frame.
 andy 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: Check out canyon and rose - both offer amazingly good value and excellent frames. They're German internet firms but I think with a bit of work you can get to try them.
 woolsack 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
> I plan at least another couple of months shopping as I love this bit

How about building one up yourself?
 VS4b 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: If you want comfort have a look at the van Nicholas mistral. Much more shinier than carbon too!
 Tiberius 22 Jul 2012
In reply to a concerned citizen:
> (In reply to Humphrey Jungle) Planet X and Ribble offer more bang for your buck

If you're based within reach of The M1 around Sheffield get yourself up to PlanetX warehouse and try them out. As above, an awful lot of bike for your money. The 'red' option, with Carbon frame and SRAM Red is especially good value for money.
 Enty 22 Jul 2012

If I was you I'd get this - you'll never look back:

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/img/pds2/Dogma_601_478.jpg

E
 Tiberius 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Enty:

I was with a club once and this guy turned up in full US Postal replica, bike and kit...boy how everyone laughed.
 gear boy 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: on the giant side you could look at TCR as well as Defy at the 2K budget you can take your pick of many others
 Tiberius 23 Jul 2012

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57FOR/planet_x_rt_57_sram_force_r...

Can't get much better than this for less that £2K
 Hat Dude 23 Jul 2012

As well as Planet X & Ribble; have a look at Dolan

They are currently doing the Mythos with Ultegra for a grand; that would leave you plenty of money from your budget to upgrade the wheels

The Ribble Sportive Bianco with Sram Force is available at about £1350 as a special edition build or slightly more on the bike builder which gives a better range of wheel upgrades.

Tiberius 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Hat Dude:
> ...slightly more on the bike builder which gives a better range of wheel upgrades.

At the budget you're looking, I'd take time to make sure you get it right. Things like a wheel upgrade may add £100 on first purchase, but if you try to upgrade later, you're looking at £500.

With the planet x link above, also probably worth looking at a wheel upgrade, and you'll still be well within your budget with enough spare for some decent kit and money left over to put towards a holiday on it.
 Tiberius 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

And incidentally, don't fret about it too much. The makes listed in the last few posts will all have frames that may have been made in the same factory in China, the components will be sourced from SRAM (or Shimano or Campag is you want), the seat, stem and bars will be stock, the only real difference is the paint job.
 steveriley 23 Jul 2012
Having just ticked through my first 100 miles (hey! I'm down to £10/mile!) on my new Planet X SL, I've no complaints there. Rides really well and a sight more sprightly than the 1980s 531 steel it replaced.

As a trade off for some fancy pants Red shifters and mech you get a pretty workaday wheelset, so yes I'll probably upgrade these at some point but wait until I've decided on something nice and light, rather than get something *slightly* better. When that happens though I'll be a proper King of The Mountains.

As a small crumb of advice I wouldn't get too hung up on groupsets, it's a bit of diminishing returns thing. Top of the range SRAM doesn't give you a 'better' shift than the 105 on my cross bike. They both just change gear. And neither is quite as slick as the, gasp, friction shifters on my ancient road bike.

Loads of nice bikes out there, and you'll have to try hard to buy a lemon I think. Enjoy the search and pick the one with the nicest paint job.
In reply to Tiberius:

Thanks for responses thus far. Much food for thought, I'll have a google tonight.

Got good wheels already.

Saw the new Trek Domane in the shop yesterday - looks comfy, think I'll take a test ride.
 Tiberius 23 Jul 2012
> Saw the new Trek Domane in the shop yesterday - looks comfy, think I'll take a test ride.

I once went to a trial day at Dalby forest, tried loads of makes. Wasn't impressed with the Trek at all, especially as it was the most expensive bike of the day. However it might suite your frame. Impossible to say what will fit. Things that suite one person don't suit another.
 David Hooper 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: after trying loads of different bikes out (for sportive rather than racing) the one which really shone for me was the Willier Izoard XPUltegra. Lots ofbikes felt like I was sitting on them riding them,whereas the Willier kind of immediately,organically part of me.

Beautiful Italian looks,carbon,Ultegra and change from £2000.all I havedone is upgraded the tyres. In contrast.prison,the well reviewed giant felt comfortable,but uninvolving.
 DJayB 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: Anyone know if the planet x pro carbon gran fondo is worth the extra 100squids compared to the regular. More interested in sportive stuff.
 Rubbishy 23 Jul 2012

Take a look at Canyon.

They get some great reviews, and for the price the spec is very impressive.

Tiberius 23 Jul 2012
In reply to dj_brigham05:

It's just got the wide range Rival I think? Personally I'd rather put the quids towards a wheel upgrade, or towards Force, but it's up to you, may be worth it if you do a lot of sportives in hilly areas. tbh, either way I don't think you'd be much fussed.
In reply to John Rushby:

Nice bikes - Di2s on a £2k bike (albeit ALU)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...