UKC

What's this route @ Ramshaw Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charley 23 Jul 2012
Was wondering if anyone can help with the name of a route we did today. It's on the Magic Roundabout slab. Starting up the flake of "Perched Flake" then traversing leftwards along the obvious, diagonal-ish break with the help of a pebble for your right hand. It then joins "The Delectable Deviation" to finish up the top flake.

It looks a very obvious line but isn't in RockFax and can't see it on UKC. Was wondering if it's in the BMC guide? It may actually be "The Delectable Deviation" and the line in the photo is wrong but then, it felt pretty serious/bold for VS. Unless that's just because it's Ramshaw...

Cheers,
 Offwidth 23 Jul 2012
In reply to charley:

Sounds like DD to me: the route is HVS 4c in the definitive and why do you think the line is wrong in the definitive guide?
 EZ 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

You have misread the OP. He doesn't have a BMC guide. The question mark about a 'wrong' line on the photo he has is presumably in the Western Grit guide.
 andi turner 23 Jul 2012
In reply to charley: Yeah, that's Delectable. I sometimes start up that and then finish up Magic Roundabout direct. Defintiely more HVS than VS.
OP charley 23 Jul 2012
Thanks guys and yes, I was talking about the photo in the RockFax guide. Will have to get a copy of the definitive guide for my next trip over there.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jul 2012
In reply to charley:

What exactly is wrong with the line in Western Grit out of interest? There is no photo-topo in my copy of the Definitive (1st version) but the description is to foot-traverse the break - the same as WG.

Chris
OP charley 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Probably nothing at all which is why I was asking in the first place. I wasn't sure whether the line shown in the photo was wrong or we did an alternative start or a different route altogether. From the sounds of it, it isn't the latter so it must of been Delectable or a variation of it.
 Offwidth 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Maybe the confusion has arisn because there is no line for DD in WG (presumably to avoid cluttering the photo, and possibly not helped by the fact (on your conventions) the rising traverse line for MR is too low (below the foot traverse in places). Your descriptions are OK so its not that hard to work out wher it goes.

I think its important people realise how easy it is to make the odd mistake on topo lines in guides and to read the descriptions and if anything seems odd to follow climbing nouse and not follow a line blindly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...