UKC

Rack for second?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 23 Jul 2012
What sort of rack (if any!) would people suggest that a second have for low grade (ie VS or lower) on trad multi-pitch mountain routes?
 nniff 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

A sling with a screwgate krab, a nut key and a couple of quick draws
In reply to nniff:

Why does a second want any quickdraws?

To the OP:

Nothing, but if one person is leading every pitch they will more slings and screwgates than usual, so you might bring a few of them if your leader isn't overburdened with loads already.
 Monk 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

Nut key, sling and screwgate, prussics.
 LastBoyScout 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

Belay device

Nut key, maybe a couple of slings and screwgates.

From experience, it can also be useful if they have some form of prussic/ascender - a second of mine once fell off a traverse route and ended up dangling down a harder route he couldn't climb and I couldn't pull him up and he ended up ascending the rope.

Knife, if you have to remove any old/stuck tat.
 nniff 23 Jul 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Because I only climb with the bare minimum, and if there are two QDs on the belay, I'll take the two off the second. Ditto for the sling around the tree.
andic 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>
> Nut key, sling and screwgate, prussics.

best answer (+belay plate and screwgate)
 Reach>Talent 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:
Nut key, belay device and maybe a spare screwgate. If I was taking someone up something really unpleasant then maybe a sling and a couple of snap gates so they can gorrila aid off my gear. Oh and a couple of prussiks (or their shoe laces)
 jkarran 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

Nut-key and belay kit is a minimum really. Maybe add a screwgate for convenience. Then add a couple of short slings/Prusiks and krabs (plus requisite skills) if you're weaving around steep rock.

Not exactly rack related but they'll probably want a lid and will need something to carry shoes/water/snacks plus something to keep warm/cool as appropriate.

jk
 str1nger 23 Jul 2012
*petzl mini traxion
*nut key
*locking carabiner
*sling 120cm
skarabrae 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp: as others have said, nut key, sling with screwgate, prussics.

You,ll also need 2 sets of wires
full set of hexed
Cams, sizes 0.5-6 double up on mid sizes
Micro cams (full set)
At least 25 pegs of various sizes
10 30cm quickdraws
4 60cm quickdraws
4. 120cm quickdraws
2 240cm slings with screwgates
1 pair of etriers
2 x 60m spare ropes
Flask of tea
Flask of soup (tomato)
Cheese sandwiches
(at least) 2 packs of tunnocks wafers
1 pair of wellies
& a packet of fig rolls.
 Reach>Talent 23 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
I thought Tunnocks wafers were only for use below 0C? On a rock route I'd expect a flapjack* to be more use.

*The edible one not the gynaecological one
 metal arms 23 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
> (In reply to Gordonbp) as others have said, nut key, sling with screwgate, prussics.
>
> You,ll also need 2 sets of wires
> full set of hexed
> Cams, sizes 0.5-6 double up on mid sizes
> Micro cams (full set)
> At least 25 pegs of various sizes
> 10 30cm quickdraws
> 4 60cm quickdraws
> 4. 120cm quickdraws
> 2 240cm slings with screwgates
> 1 pair of etriers
> 2 x 60m spare ropes
> Flask of tea
> Flask of soup (tomato)
> Cheese sandwiches
> (at least) 2 packs of tunnocks wafers
> 1 pair of wellies
> & a packet of fig rolls.

No RPs. Madness. What if you drop the etriers? I'd probably pack a spare pair. And a pear. And a spare pear.

What cheese are you using? Cheddar would be the standard but blue cheese would be fine. Or soft cheese if you want some crisps in there.
OP Gordonbp 23 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

Wot, no bivvy kit, inflatable sherpa, campervan? How can I climb without those?
 Cheese Monkey 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp: Belay plate, nut key, sling, 2 prussics, 2 screwgates. Maybe a hex, or other nut key bludgeoning implement.
 Ben Briggs 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp: The most important thing on any multi pitch is a pack of backy, then at less when it all goes to shit you can have a fag.
OP Gordonbp 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Ben Briggs:

ROTFL!
As I don't smoke would a hip flask of something at 40% proof be a good substitute?
OP Gordonbp 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

Thanks for all the replies peeps - I already have belay plate, nut key, a couple of slings and screw-gates and a bone-dome, so looks like I'm ready to go.
Just got to get some prussics......
skarabrae 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to skarabrae)
> I thought Tunnocks wafers were only for use below 0C?

a very common error!, the caramel layers inbetween the wafers allow the tunnocks to be hammered (as the caramel makes themm super maleable)into flared cracks, you can then put a sling around them!!

try doing this with a flapjack & you`ll end up with crumbs!!!!!

stonemaster 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to skarabrae) a flapjack* to be more use.
>
> *The edible one not the gynaecological one

Aargh!! Made the mistake of checking urban dictionary. Off to wash one's eyes out now.....
 verygneiss 23 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

I was under the impression that a Caramel Log, rather than a Wafer would be better for protecting a route, given its high friction coating. I don't think a wafer would grip a slick schist very well. Also, cheese and jam sandwiches allow much greater versatility for barely any additional weight.
skarabrae 23 Jul 2012
In reply to verygneiss: amateur!!!!
 stonemaster 23 Jul 2012
In reply to verygneiss: Rubbish! Everybody knows it's scones with strawberry conserve and clotted cream....
 KiwiPrincess 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:
Nut tool, Prussicks, Belay device, Safety Sling (good for clipping to gear for rest)
You'll need a hammer if using Pitons

Carry windbreaker, water, snack bar, sunblock and any rack the leader dosn't need for that pitch. (walk off shoes Maybe?)
 Hannes 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordonbp: I'm surprised no one has suggested Kendal mint cakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...