UKC

Fire Poi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Jam 30 Jul 2012
Hey, random inquiry but does anyone on here do fire poi? My ex was into it and am super keen to get into it myself. Have started learning some stuff off videos on youtube but was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to buy stuff? Getting started etc. Thanks in advance.

Dan
 Oceanrower 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: Got mine from here. http://www.oddballs.co.uk/
They do mail order but I went into the Brighton store. Well worth a visit.
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: www.firetoys.com. Use eye protection, don't wear highly flammable clothes, etc. Good luck.,
 Little Brew 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: I have these, http://www.poipoi.info/Buy-Poi-from-the-Poi-Poi-Shop!/Fire-Toys/Fire-Poi/Ne... they match the weight and feel of my normal day poi so i am happy spinning either. i will wear non flammable (no fleece!) clothing and a cap with my hair tucked in to if i play with them lit, no accident yet, but you never know.
richyfenn 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James:

Get really good before using fire Or is the fire a good motivator?
OP Dan Jam 30 Jul 2012
In reply to richyfenn: Thanks for everyone's advice so far some really good options to consider. When my ex started teaching me she just gave me two lit toys and said have a go! The fire aspect is the main motivator although I won't be in a position to buy stuff for a little while as I'm away from home. Currently I'm using two tennis balls with string tied through them. I want to be able to be able to spin for a decent amount of time before using lit poi. Will probably buy the poi and then practice with them unlit for a while. Does anyone have recommendations of the type of stuff i should learn as basics?
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: www.playpoi.com. Good luck.
 Thelongcon 30 Jul 2012

My roommates got me some for my birthday last year. I don't know where from. We found the best way to learn was to get drunk and then set them on fire and try not to hit ourselves. Also, that if you wake people up with them inside the house after a night on the lash you'll set off fire alarms and vomiting. Happy days.
 gingerdave13 30 Jul 2012
In reply to stonemaster: from personal experience i would agree that fleeces are NOT to be worn.

it's amazing how you don't notice if your own armpit is on fire or not.....
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:
> (notice if your own armpit is on fire or not.....

Arf! must say that one most certainly noticed when one set one's crotch on fire! Luckily wesring denims which takes pride of place on the wall between ice axes and crampons...
 Scarab9 30 Jul 2012

it's at your own risk, but I wouldn't worry too much about being really good before trying lit ones. Just don't try anything new or at the edge of your ability with the lit ones, at least until you're used to using them. You can have great fun doing very simple moves and they'll also look really impressive to people who don't use them.

One important thing (more with staff as you're throwing and catching, but guessing the same applies to poi to an extent), when you light them it's often after dark (for obvious reasons) and one problem is that you suddenly realise that it's quite hard to see by a couple of fast spinning flames! Try them first in a quite brightly lit space (either daylight or with proper out door lighting).

gingerdave13 30 Jul 2012
In reply to stonemaster: it was a brand new fleece too - luckily it vaguely survived (enough to continue to be used)

Also, burned hair REALLY smells! (head not armpit)
OP Dan Jam 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: lol all good advice! and stories too! what type of fuel should i be using. When i did it before we used paraffin. Is this ok?
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: Paraffin is fine.
 Dax H 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Daniel James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWjcZcmhr4&feature=youtube_gdata_playe...
don't know if the link will work from my phone app but this is a video. My attempt with fire poi.
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Dax H: May all your burns be little ones...
In reply to Daniel James: Take a look at the lessons on homeofpoi.com, loads of stuff to go at there along with safety articles and a shop. You should join the forum too, its been pretty quiet recently, come and help revive it!

Here's a link to our group's facebook page, we'll be at boomtown fair in a couple of weeks so come say hi if you're there
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkSpark/161273450643025

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...