UKC

26 or 29?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2012
I know this debate could go on for ever, but I am trying to decide whether to take the plunge and buy a 29r XC full suspension bike, or play it safe and go for a 26" bike. I have tried a couple of 29rs, and I love the way they role, but they are definitely less manoeuvrable than a 26" equivalent, and given that I'm spending >£2K I don't want to end up with a bike and regret it, but then I'm not going to be in a position to buy a 29r at a later point.

So, if you could have one MTB for everything, what would you go for? Have you bought a 29r and regret it?

A 26" wheeled bike or a 29"?

Also, when do they normally start the sales on bikes? I'm already seeing some 2013 bikes in the shops

TMM 01 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I've been through a similar dilemma recently looking at new bike.

I set myself a budget of £1k for a 29er hardtail. I'm sold on the 29er story but I guess you need to consider your style or riding and the trails you're likely to be using.

I'm waiting my lbs to assemble my Felt Nine Race which was a deal at £839.99.

I think you just have to accept that at certain times on certain trails you will curse your choice!!
 blurty 01 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: I've got a 26" Santa cruz full Susser that I never ride any more, and a 29er cotic Solaris hard tail which I love

Want to buy the Cruz?
 a crap climber 01 Aug 2012

Just to make things more difficult, how about 650b? It's the latest new gimmick wheel size (I'm somewhat pro 26", wheels have always been that size, why should I change?)

To be slightly more serious though, it may be worth looking into. It's basically a 27.5" wheel, so half way between. Those in favour of it say you get the best of both worlds; rolls over rough ground better than a 26" but still has decent handling. I'm not sure how many bikes are available, it's been around a few years, but I guess most companies have been waiting for people to adopt 29" before bringing out a new wheel size to confuse things and get people to buy new bikes.
 Chris the Tall 01 Aug 2012
I'm a huge fan of 29ers. Getting an FS 29er 4 years ago was a revelation and made me far more keen and excited about MTB than at any time in the 20 years i've been doing it. Last year i got an HT to give me a spare and love that too, but if i had to choose just one it would be the FS.

But I'm 6'4 and into Xc and endurance, so a 29er is a no-brainer. If you are shorter and into DH, it may be different.

The other thing to say is that I think they work really well in the Peak and the dales, but even so the shops in Sheffield have been reluctant to stock them. Just back from the lakes and the shops up there still don't seem to have many 29er bikes and even less parts - one very big shop had just one 29er tyre. This, I was told, was due to lack of demand - the steep and rocky nature of the climbs, and the amount of carrying you do on some routes (routes which I admit to avoiding), allegedly put 29ers at a disadvantage. Allegedly...
 subalpine 01 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: i like my 27" ..
OP balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2012

Well, for a bit more info, I'm 5' 8", and mainly ride XC stuff, not really into down hill, but I do go to the odd trail centre form time to time.
 David Hooper 02 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: me and a friend tested a 5 and a Gyro at. The same time and both felt that the 29 gyro had something - impressed me so much that I've committed to a custom build.
 Chris the Tall 02 Aug 2012
Have a google for MTB demo days - there seem to be a fair few down south - and try one out. It's the best way to find out if they suit you.

Sounds like you are a similar rider to me, but I have found that I now have far more confidence and more fun on DHs than I used to - maybe cos its a 29, maybe its cos its an FS or maybe just cos I'm enjoying my riding that I'm out far more.
OP balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've been looking for Demo days, but I can't seem to find any in August, they all seem to have been april and may... do you know of a list of them?
 sam@work 02 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lapierre/zesty-314-2012-mountain-bike-e...

i too am 5ft 8 and have one of these , i dont get the whole 29er thing , although tall people seem to . . . .i don't think you will end up regretting getting the about , mine makes me smile everytime i look at it !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...