UKC

Anyone using Strava??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 quirky 11 Aug 2012
As the title really. Just downloaded it yesterday, loving the segments, every day is race day! Anyone else use it?? Soon get bored of it or is it just another reason to turn yourself inside out??
 nowler 11 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:
strava rocks! i went through a 4 month phase of it ruling my life, but i have it under control now..... enjoy!
 thedatastream 11 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:
I really like it, although I'm usually bottom of the leaderboards on the segments on my commute as I'm really slow good motivational tool and you can post to facebook and everything
OP quirky 11 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky: Competetive dad has risen to the surface again!!
 vark 12 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:
Strava is great but potentially dangerous.
I recently had to decide between running an old lady down on a pedestrian crossing or abandoning a potential PB on a climb. Common sense won over at the last minute but it was a close contest.
 ajsteele 12 Aug 2012
In reply to vark:

But did you get the PB and is she recovering well after it?
 AlasdairM 12 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky: I use it mainly for commuting and love it. I got my first two KOMs this week, but think it will be a fight to keep them.
 Indy 12 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:

Just googled it and seems to be very similar to Garmin Connect.... what makes Strava different/worth while?
 balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to quirky)
>
> Just googled it and seems to be very similar to Garmin Connect.... what makes Strava different/worth while?

Very similar but adds a competitive element (you can compare your times against everyone else for a short climb "segment". It's also not device specific

Beware that anyone can view your routes and work out where you live, so make sure you hide your house/office in privacy settings, and avoid naming your bikes by model.

Go to profile dropdown top right -> Settings ->Privacy to set a circumference around any postcode
 Indy 13 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Cheers!

Can I be cheeky and ask 2 more questions?

1) I've never going to be the fastest? is there a handicap system in place to even things out?

2) Do you have the premium account? is so is it worth the £40 a year charge?

Thanks for the privacy heads up!! Have to admit from what I've seen so far Strava has some pretty cool features. Have signed up for the free account as I notice that you can use both Garmin Connect and Strava together which is great as I have a Garmin database going back to 2007.
 balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

No handicap system, you just need to train more! - There are Pros on there that you'll never beat, so don't worry about it.

What it means is you can get your friends on it and beat them instead, set your own segments for training rides etc near you.

Don't have the premium account, thought about it, but not really sure it's worth it - the free accounts are good enough for me at the moment.
 Chris the Tall 13 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:
Yep, I use it (for mountain biking), but don't let it infuence how I ride

Quite interesting to see how you compare with others - for example I did a fast lap of the NFT at Grizedale and I'm in the top 20 (out of 120), but 20 mins slower than the fastest. Mostly I'm top quarter or top third, which isn't bad for 45-y-o !

I have a few KOMs from 2 rides in the Dales, partly cos very few have logged them, partly cos I'm too pig-headed to stop on a long climb!
 yorkshireman 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've just signed up as I've been using Garmin Connect (and FetchEveryone) for running and biking for years.

Is there any way to import all those old runs from Garmin Connect into Strava? You can export from GC as CSV but I can't see a way of getting that data in. It would be great to have all that rather than starting from scratch.
 balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:

If you can download it all from training centre or GC to your device (or do it a group at a time, and then upload to strava that would be your easiest option, otherwise you can download tcx or gpx files of each activity from GC and then upload those to strava (it may you a while)
 yorkshireman 13 Aug 2012
> (In reply to yorkshireman)
>
> If you can download it all from training centre or GC to your device (or do it a group at a time, and then upload to strava that would be your easiest option, otherwise you can download tcx or gpx files of each activity from GC and then upload those to strava (it may you a while)

Thanks, just uploaded 10 from the memory on my Garmin but still took some tweaking. I have another 300-odd on GC - will need to work out a smarter way of getting that data in there.

Ian Broome 13 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky: Anyone know if or how it can be used on a blackberry. Only seems available on iPhone or android.
 balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Ian Broome:

Can your blackberry output a tcx/gpx file of your movements? if so this could be uploaded another App might achieve this for you
 Fredt 13 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:

Do I need seperate apps for cycling and running on my iPhone?
 vark 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
I think with the premium account you can limit the leader board by age,sex, height and weight.
fiendoidel 13 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:

I am also a strava-lover. I am using an i-phone app and, despite the phone being only a few weeks old and having been charged overnight, the phone ran out of batteries after 5 hours riding. Anyone got any ideas how to prolong battery life on an iPhone and what is the battery life on Garmin forerunners / edge devices?

balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to quirky:

For those interested, I have set-up a UKC club on Strava for those that might want to see what others on UKC are up to (it obviously won't work if no one joins up though)

On the right of the dashboard you will find a little section on clubs, go in there and search for "UKC" and then join. (I may need to approve but we'll see)
 yorkshireman 13 Aug 2012
In reply to fiendoidel:

I'm off out for a run with the dog now - feel inspired

The great thing about living in the back of beyond is that there is nobody challenging me on any my runs right now !
 Indy 13 Aug 2012

I'm up for that!

Tried to join but says that theres no such club... seems to default to London though.
 Chris the Tall 13 Aug 2012
In reply to fiendoidel:
Battery life on the Garmin Edge 800 is supposed to be about 14 hours, certainly mine keep going for about 12 hours on my big ride last year and I don't think it hit the warning threshold

My wife has just bought an extended battery pack for the iphone - an apple one that fits like an extra shell - and reports that it seems to works very well for running a GPS app all day

I wonder if someone does a combo bike mount/battery pack ?
 balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

Hmmm. Technical difficulties... I also can't find it when I search for it, but i appear to be a member and can access the club page (and edit members) - it's definately set to public... It doesn't seem to want to send out invite emails... it may be that it takes a little while to set-up in the same way segments do... will check it again later
 Indy 13 Aug 2012

O.K cheers, about to sign off for the evening so will check back tomorrow.
 Indy 13 Aug 2012

O.K one final check I can see it.

Missus is giving me death stares "family meal time, get off the computer"

tomorrow!
 balmybaldwin 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

Yep seems to be working now if you search in "UK" in the second box
 rossowen 13 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: I'm in! Off out for a blast shortly
 Escher 13 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Nice one, I've joined. I love Strava!
 ajsteele 14 Aug 2012

Good idea on setting this up! I've joined too can't wait to see how I do against some of the members from here, my guess is badly

yorkshireman 15 Aug 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>

> Is there any way to import all those old runs from Garmin Connect into Strava? You can export from GC as CSV but I can't see a way of getting that data in. It would be great to have all that rather than starting from scratch.

I found this tool which I thought others might find useful.

http://www.sideburn.org/garmin

If you give it the username/password of your Garmin Connect account it will download all your entries as TCX files. You can then bulk upload these to Strava.

It seems legit, but obviously it would be sensible to make a temporary password change to your GC account and then change it back after using this.

I'm now in the process of importing >300 entries into Strava

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...