UKC

Wood buners & Tents - Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 13 Aug 2012
Anyone know of any campsites in the Lake District which allow wood burners in tents?

I am planning a 10-14 day camping trip in December for my birthday and hope to take the Bell tent and wood burner. Last time I went winter camping in this country it was using a Terra Nova Voyager for 10 days, it was rank.. cold and damp, long nights in a small tent and after a day in the hills no real way of keeping clothes dry or drying them out.

This time I'm forming a plan, 12ft Bell tent and tent specific wood burner!

So anyone know of any sites?

Mal Grey 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Alan M:
I have used a firebox on various Lakes sites, including NT ones, so wouldn't have thought a woodstove inside was viewed any differently.

I know for sure of several people using Frontier stoves in tents at Waterside Farm on Ullswater, though this was an organised event.

Here's a list of sites allowing fires, no idea of its accuracy. Scroll down to North West region, its in a funny order.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4
And obviously, its possible they'll see woodburners inside tents as more of a risk than fires outside, but I doubt it.
 Zac 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Alan M:
I second waterside, have seen stoves/wood burners on there more than once, and a very nice site.

Zac
 Max factor 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Zac:

the NT one near black crag in Borrowdale has yurts for hire with buners IIRC. Give them a call, they shouldn't have a probelm with your set up.
 butteredfrog 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Max factor:

Hollows farm at Grange (Borrowdale)?

Lovely spot, shouldn't be a problem.
 Route Adjuster 14 Aug 2012
In reply to Max factor:

The Yurts are not owned by the campsite but can be booked out (they have some further up the valley too) - usually free outside of school holidays. Google for inside out camping for more details.
OP Alan M 14 Aug 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, its good to know that there are a few campsites that may permit the use of the woodburner.

I will update on my findings when I start phoning around. Bell tents and stoves seem to be popular these days so I would guess other people may start looking for similar information in the future.

For anyone who hasn't tried a bell tent and stove combo in winter....you are seriously missing out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...