UKC

Recent Britcoms please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Living out here in the cultural wasteland which is Australia, we are deprived of quality TV. In order to keep sane we buy via Amazon UK Britcom /comedy quiz shows and humour series, we love them.

We have all the classics Fawlty/Black Books/Partridge/Ted HIGNFY/QI/Buzzcocks etc, but it's hard to know what is coming out over there which is good.

On our last return we found "Outnumbered" and "WILTY".

So what good or great shows, released in say the last 3 years, would you say are "must buys"?

Many thanks in advance
 Blue Straggler 30 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob:

Slightly older than 3 years, but "The Thick of It" is ESSENTIAL. Basically a very modern take on Yes, Minister, but SO MUCH better than that show. Very fast-paced, mostly improvised dialogue, incredibly sweary though so if you don't like that sort of thing, maybe avoid. It's not gratuitous though - you really can imagine that it's just like that in Whitehall.
If you like reading Private Eye, it's right up your street.
£18 for a set comprising both series and the two "specials". There was also a feature film spin-off "In The Loop" but it's a bit odd as many of the cast play slightly different versions of their Thick of It characters, with different names. That annoyed me.
 Escher 30 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob: League of Gentlemen, The Office, Psychoville, Green Wing, Spaced, Peep Show, IT Crowd (Ted/Black Books writers), Flight of the Conchords (not Brit but brilliant), Kath and Kim (Aussie but Brit humour), Extras, Brass Eye. I am sure I can think of more. Will be back!
 Escher 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Escher: Royle Family, red dwarf, Drop the dead donkey, Reggie Perrin. Older but not dated.
 chlobach 31 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob:

one foot in the grave, rising damp, dinner ladies, phoenix nights, the smoking room, only fools and horses
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>

> If you like reading Private Eye, it's right up your street.

Thanks mate, I have an overseas subscription to PE, so that make it a must.

I have many of the others mentioned, but thanks for your input. Really after more recent stuff if at all poss.

"Stella" any good? Benidorm? World of pub?
 Kimono 31 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob:
Seconding The thick of it! and the movie of it 'in the loop'...classic stuff.

I also rather liked the series Rev...which actually features one of the characters from in the loop i realise

Have you considered getting a proxyserver so that you can get iplayer abroad??
though it must be said, there's bugger all on right now

Kieran (also an expat)
 Blue Straggler 31 Aug 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Tom Hollander is an actor, not a character!
In reply to kieran b:

> Have you considered getting a proxyserver so that you can get iplayer abroad??

Thanks Kieran.

I have considered it, but think buying on DVD is probably the best way to go as of now. Buying second hand off Amazon, with the $Au vs quid exchange rate makes it cheap as chips

Kimono 31 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob:
fair enough!

How about Luther? A cop series with Idris Elba from the Wire...a little far-fetched but very entertaining...2 series
 Clarence 31 Aug 2012
In reply to stroppygob:

This is Jinsy is brilliant and wierd in equal measure, definitely for Mighty Boosh fans and similar.

I really liked A Touch of Cloth which was on at the weekend, no doubt there will be a DVD out in the next couple of months.
 Bulls Crack 31 Aug 2012
>
> Slightly older than 3 years, but "The Thick of It" is ESSENTIAL. Basically a very modern take on Yes, Minister, but SO MUCH better than that show.

NO WAY! Thick of It is very good and obviously more modern but....
In reply to stroppygob:

Not in the last 3 years but i recommend Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
In reply to stroppygob: Thanks, but I already have it, along with "Man to man with Dean Learner".

Excellent stuff.
 Blue Straggler 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:
>
> Not in the last 3 years but i recommend Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

It is twice as good with the commentaries on (done in character but 20 years on)

Oh right. I don't recall listening to that on my DVD. You've just given me a good excuse to go dig it out and watch it again hehehe
 Blue Straggler 05 Sep 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

The bit where they get lager and crisps in from the offie to do the commentary, and put the crisp packets down in front of the microphone so you just hear a load of rustling, is genius.
 Blue Straggler 05 Sep 2012
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy)
>
> The bit where they get lager and crisps in from the offie to do the commentary

That's as in "to drink and eat whilst doing the commentary", rather than "getting the lager and the crisps to actually speak"
cap'nChino 05 Sep 2012
In reply to stroppygob: Gavin and stacy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...