UKC

fixing leaking lead gullies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 02 Sep 2012
I have a problem with leaks in the sloping lead valleys on the roof. They are very old and lead has got thin and is leaking through cracks and splits. To properly repair them by replacing them isn't an option so I am looking for a way to patch them up. There has been some temporary repairs made in he past with black goo which is now cracking and leaking.

As I said replacement isn't an option so I looking for a way to just stop the leaks for a while. I saw some paint on roof sealant recently in B&Q which seemed to be mainly intended for flat roofs but also said it could be used on lead. Searching online came up with other similar products such as this http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/everbuild-evercryl-one-coat-25-k...

I am thinking that this sort of stuff would be easy to apply and could be painted onto the cracked black goo as well as the lead. I just want to get a temporary fix and don't mind having to reapply it periodically if necessary.

Has anyone used similar products on lead? Or any other suggestions/advice?

thanks
 jimjimjim 02 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother: try some gutter sealant on any holes and crack you can see. If they're big holes stick some thin lead over them. It's cowboy but if you can't afford a proper jod it might work for a bit....or (thinking as i type) get some 'flash banding tape' and stick that on it.
The trouble with lead is that it expands and contracts with heat so anything you stick on it will over time come loose.
 Mark Edwards 02 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother:
Do a search on - self adhesive flashing tape. B&Q sell it and it works quite well (well it does on my mothers conservatory) and then paint it with bitumen to ensure no leaks.
 Rich Ellis 02 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother:
Why isn`t replacing the lead an option?
 jimjimjim 02 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Edwards: flash band.....you mean flash band....
 JH74 02 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother:

That one that you have linked to is probably better than any of the suggestions imo. Buy a cheap brush that you can throw away after.
 jimjimjim 02 Sep 2012
In reply to JH74: Not if the holes are of any size though...speaking from experience. I work in property maintenance and have been bodging stuff for tight fisted landlord for years.
 Sherlock 03 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother:
I would agree with flashband BUT you need to take care with prep.
First make sure lead surface is clean and dry.
Paint on flashband primer and leave to dry.
Carefully apply flashband,then gently heat with hot aair blower/paint stripper/hair-dryer thingy while smoothing out with a soft cloth.
That'll do for a few years.
Sherlock (ex-roofer)
 Timmd 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Rich Ellis:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
> Why isn`t replacing the lead an option?

Cost?
Jim C 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Sherlock:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
> I would agree with flashband BUT you need to take care with prep.
> First make sure lead surface is clean and dry.
> Paint on flashband primer and leave to dry.
> Carefully apply flashband,then gently heat with hot aair blower/paint stripper/hair-dryer thingy while smoothing out with a soft cloth.
> That'll do for a few years.
> Sherlock (ex-roofer)

Good advice, that I mostly followed, and got good results (the hot air gun is something I will do next time)

One thing I found with the self-adhesive stuff (not being an expert) is on long pieces start at the bottom work up and try and not do the whole thing in one strip if it is just too long. Better to have a couple of short bits and a couple of generous we adhered overlaps than make a mess and get it all wrinkles.

GrahamD 03 Sep 2012
In reply to BigBrother:

When I had a repair like this done by a builder a few years ago, he simply cut across the valley and put a short length of lead flashing in the gap which went under the top part of the old vally and over the bottom part. He only removed a couple of tiles and had it sorted in no time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...