UKC

Learning to ice climb...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blob737 04 Sep 2012
Not quite sure which forum i should have put this post in, so i have put it in the rocktalk one for now.

Basically to set the scene, im going to austria (specifically zell am see) to ski instruct for this season coming, and whilst im there, i really really really want to learn to ice climb

The reason for the post, is that i will be going to austria with nobody i know, and so i have no idea at all how to start out learning,

i was hoping that some of the people on this forum would be able to point me in the right direction r.e the gear i would need, the best places to go to climb, and hopefully an idea of how i could get started learning when i am out there,

thanks,

Sam
 dan bulman 04 Sep 2012
hi sam. if your passing, the ice factor at kinlochleven is a great place to make your first moves.
OP blob737 04 Sep 2012
In reply to dan bulman: im sad to say i live in essex, and so the scotish highlands are some way away haha, thanks for the suggestion though!
 dan bulman 04 Sep 2012
if you get a good set up over there and can provide accomodation i'm sure someone would come accross and take you out in return.
 WILLS 05 Sep 2012
In reply to blob737: Right. Go to Covent garden. There is a small ice wall there. It's in an Ellis brigham site. Chill factor I think it calls itself. Try it n see. Most of your stuff for your first go can be rented there. If you want to go again most stuff can be got from eBay. Top rope first unless your going with someone experienced. Placing screw for multi pitch need to be solid.
 TobyA 05 Sep 2012
In reply to blob737: There's is nothing very complicated about the physical act of ice climbing. I see from your profile you onsighted on a top rope 7b+ (do you really mean onsighted?! That you didn't fall once?), so if that the case you are strong enough to second vertical ice with no problem at all I would expect.

Leading ice though is a different ballgame - here experience makes a huge difference, so that does take time. But I would think that Austria is a great place to learn - you might need to speak German maybe? - but I would just look for clubs and courses once you're out there. I suspect gear will be around the same price (you can sometimes find more choice and lower prices in Europe).

Climbing at one of these indoor icewall might be a laugh but they seem very pricey - might do as well spending that money on a couple of really good books - Will Gadd's and the Rockfax winter book are well regarded.
 TobyA 05 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

> Climbing at one of these indoor icewall might be a laugh but they seem very pricey -

Would add that the Kinlochleven one looks to be on a different scale to the ones in shops - there I could see that it might give you a grounding in technique a bit more, although I've heard people say their ice doesn't prepare you that well for hard (cold) water ice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...