UKC

Whats the best guide for Fontainebleu?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ash1 14 Sep 2012
Looking to go to Fontainebleu in April and wondering what the best guidebook for it is?

Cheers

remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1: I like Essential Fontainebleau from stone country, good maps, covers all the major areas and has details of the better circuits at each area as well as ~15 select problems in each area.

Other guides are better for other things. If you just want to do individual problems Bart van Rajj's 7+8 or 5+6 are good guides, though i find the diagrams a little lacking.

Fontainebleau off-piste is also meant to be good, though I havent used it myself. There's also a fairly new guide by jackey godoffe that's meant to be pretty good, big clear topos for all the problems.
 rotax123 14 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1:

"Fontainebleau Climbs: The Finest Bouldering and Circuits"

We used this for the last two trip's to Font, Found it to be very good, Easy to understand and great variety of problems and areas.
We also had the "Jingo Wobbly" one which is very good too but a little more complicated (maybe just less clear if that makes sense)

max
 kedvenc72 14 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1: The purple book 'Fontainebleau Climbs' is great for all the circuits and is complemented well by the 'off-piste' guide. I've lost count of the number of font trips I've done over the years and never needed any another guides. Saying that though, if your operating in 7's and above then the 7+8's book is the obvious choice.

I thought the Jingo Wobbly guide was utterly dreadful. I also had a quick look at Jacky Godoffe's new guide but didn't really seem worth buying to me.
 Stefan Kruger 14 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1:

Get the 7+8 (or the 5+6, depending on your level). The maps are best of any Font guide IMHO.
 Mehmet Karatay 15 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1:

I really like the Jingo Wobbly Magique book. When I first looked at it, I wasn't convinced at all. I only got it because there were a few of the purple guidebooks in the group already.

By the end of the trip, the Jingo Wobbly guide was a clear winner. It does take some getting used to, but once you do it packs a ton of information about the climbs.

Until you get used to the book, finding the right bit is difficult. Once you figure out their system it's very quick. Their system is VERY different to every other climbing guide I've used.

Don't get put off by all the childish illustrations.

Hope this helps,
Mehmet
 Max factor 15 Sep 2012
In reply to ash1:

Any one that gets you the right general place, and then just wander and climb. nNever get the guide out once I'm there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...