UKC

Climbing after a hip replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edradour 17 Sep 2012
I have just been told that the previous attempts to fix my fractured hip have developed complications and I now need a hip replacement. It isn't clear whether this will be a resurfacing or a total hip replacement.

Has anyone here had a similar procedure and have they been able to climb (specifically alpine climbing) and ski afterwards?

Thanks in advance.
 Stefan Kruger 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Fickalli:

Ask John Alcock, who posts here occasionally. He's had a resurfacing, and a complete replacement, and both skis and climbs.
 Michael Ryan 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Fickalli:
> I have just been told that the previous attempts to fix my fractured hip have developed complications and I now need a hip replacement. It isn't clear whether this will be a resurfacing or a total hip replacement.
>
> Has anyone here had a similar procedure and have they been able to climb (specifically alpine climbing) and ski afterwards?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have a friend with a hip replacement.

He has climbed 8a and E7 with his replacement hip.

john spence 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Fickalli: Several members of my climbing club have had hip replacements (single and double) they still climb, ski and walk as much,if not more, than they ever did. Good luck.
 Enty 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:
> (In reply to Fickalli)
> [...]
>
> I have a friend with a hip replacement.
>
> He has climbed 8a and E7 with his replacement hip.

And his is an old fashioned 30 year old plastic hip replacement!!

I also have a mate who had his done last November and he's alread back on 7a+ on a daily basis with steep walk-ins to the crags.

E
 Elevator 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Fickalli: I had a metal on metal hip resurfacing 3 years ago, just before I turned 60, after about five years of increasing arthritic pain which eventually made alpine work unbearable. Having the operation was like turning the pain off at the flick of a switch. I was pretty fit when I went under the knife. After the operation I was doing light turbotraining at week 3, walking, road biking and light climbing wall work at week 6 and back into full training at week 12. The main risk in the initial recovery period is dislocation, so in-line exercise is good but no bridging or twisting. Since the operation I'm mountaineering, cycling and climbing (summer & winter) better than ever, did my first E3 earlier this year and am hoping to onsight 6c/7a in Kalymnos next month - not too bad at 63... But be aware there are some current concerns about higher failure rates with metal on metal hip prostheses, compared to metal on plastic ones, and about the potential effects of raised blood cobalt and chromium levels...
 Pekkie 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:
> (In reply to Fickalli)
>>
'I have a friend with a hip replacement.> He has climbed 8a and E7 with his replacement hip.'

These discussions always end up like a Monty Python sketch. (Luxury...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...