UKC

Stupid Question maybe; time for crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subflux 28 Sep 2012
Hi,

Not been in the hills for a while, heading to Skye this weekend.

Is it time to start packing crampons and axe, 'just in case', or is that rather premature?

I notice that freezing levels have been roughly about summits, and there's been snow flurries about.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but see last time I hit frozen turf on the Cobbler, I would have _loved_ crampons and an axe, which would have made a rather frightening and fun-to-have-survived kind of thing into a day of sheer beauty.

Many thanks!
 stonemaster 28 Sep 2012
In reply to subflux: Axe should do for now. Good luck.
 Mark Bull 28 Sep 2012
In reply to subflux:

Forecasts suggest freezing levels at 1200m and rising this weekend, so I think anything more than a temporary dusting of wet snow on the Skye hills is unlikely.
 IainMunro 28 Sep 2012
In reply to subflux:

> Is it time to start packing crampons and axe, 'just in case', or is that rather premature?

> I notice that freezing levels have been roughly about summits, and there's been snow flurries about.

I ran up Cairngorm with a bumbag and trainers yesterday. Damp and drizzly, no snow even at 4000ft so Skye should be absolutely fine without an axe and crampons.

Have a good trip.

Iain
OP subflux 28 Sep 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone! First time up there, so super excited!! Have a great weekend all..
 Simon Caldwell 28 Sep 2012
In reply to stonemaster:
Surely axe is fairly pointless (snigger) until you've got a good base of snow. I normally start carrying crampons before axe, to prevent a slip on icy rocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...