UKC

Car Damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 02 Oct 2012
Mrs M. came back from shopping with about £300 worth of damage to her car(panel work, respray). She's quite upset about it.

Seemed to have happened in the supermarket car park and of course the tosser who did it left no note or anything.

Obviously she doesn't want to put it through her insurance but £300 is a lot for her to find.

Any(serious) suggestions
 Jenny C 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Does the carpark have CCTV?
 EeeByGum 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Live with it. Mrs Eeebygum is forever coming home with various bumps and scrapes - usually self inflicted. Apparently women are only a better insurance risk because men do a better job at righting cars off completely!
OP mypyrex 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Does the carpark have CCTV?

Yes but I doubt if there's much chance of it being on CCTV

nniff 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Only one way to find out..............
 stonemaster 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Sorry, not much joy with this. Had one happen about 4 months ago. Hope the scroat stabs himself/herself in the eye with a rusty knife.
 Phil1919 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: We've given up on cars. Cost plus other factors. A lot happier walking/cycling/train. You need to factor in a bit more time. We never thought it would be possible, but it is.
 jkarran 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

> Obviously she doesn't want to put it through her insurance but £300 is a lot for her to find.
> Any(serious) suggestions

The ideas that spring to mind in no particular order:

*Get a cheaper quote.
*Have it fixed for her.
*Patch it up as best you can yourself.
*Attempt to pursue the person responsible through the supermarket security office.

jk
 sianabanana 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

CCTV is covered by the data protection act, and so you have the right to request access to cctv footage of yourself.

So you could ask them to give you a copy of the tape with your missus parking her car.

Technically they can just give you the clip of her parking it and nothing else, but its worth a shot?

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/topic_guides/cctv.a...
 buzby 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: worth shopping around, if you mention that its not insurance thats paying for it then you may get it a bit cheaper, although 300 dosent seem excessive if it needs panel work and a respray.
 JH74 02 Oct 2012
In reply to buzby:

Quite. Seems cheap in many ways....
OP mypyrex 02 Oct 2012
Supermarket have said they'll look at the cctv. A step in the right direction.
 Indy 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to Jenny C)
> [...]
>
> Yes but I doubt if there's much chance of it being on CCTV
Even if there were the supermarket won't give you the details as they'll only give them to the police "data protection" or some such.
 alexcollins123 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Sounds like a DIY project for this weekend! Parts can be cheap off ebay, get yerself a dremel and some primer/spray and watch some youtube vids on how to do it and go for it! Whats the worst that could happen?

I've been learning all sorts about my car since taking stuff off it (bumpers, doors, interior etc)!
 Jenny C 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
> Even if there were the supermarket won't give you the details as they'll only give them to the police "data protection" or some such.

Even so if they want to be helpfull, they will tell you if the incident was recorded (ask the supermerket to take a copy as the last thing you need if for it to have been deleted/overwritten) then you can report the incident to the police who can request it from the supermarket.

Sharp 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Drive around town looking for someone with matching damage then either confront them or just double their losses with a baseball bat. Still cost you £300 but the latter would be more satisfying.
 Fat Bumbly2 02 Oct 2012
In reply to alexcollins123:
"Sounds like a DIY project for this weekend! Parts can be cheap off ebay, get yerself a dremel and some primer/spray and watch some youtube vids on how to do it and go for it! Whats the worst that could happen?"

youtube.com/watch?v=1IL22sLF25s&

Seriously now - it happened to me at Ardverikie/Laggan in April while I was camping in the interior. No hope of CCTV there. Very, very annoying.
 Indy 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
> (In reply to Indy)
> [...]
>
> ....then you can report the incident to the police who can request it from the supermarket.
No, you'll report it to the police then you'll get a letter a few days later telling you that they've 'reviewed' all the information and decided that theres nothing further they can do.
Sorry but been there done that got the letter

Dominion 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:

In which case you give the video to your insurance company, and ask them to recover costs from the other driver? (assuming the offending driver / car is identifiable in the video)

Does "leaving the scene of an accident" cover this, by the way?
Sarah G 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Dominion:
I think it only applies if someone is injured. The polis aren't interested unless there are injuries.
Sxx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...