UKC

East ridge of Suilven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe G 02 Oct 2012
Can anyone tell me what the East ridge of Suilven is like, whether it's a scramble, walk etc? I tried googling it but strangely enough when people refer to the East Ridge they tend to mean the West ridge of the East top, rather than the East ridge of said top. I know that this has a couple of scrambley sections but I don't know what the eastern side is like.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Joe G:
It's a scramble with some tricky bits. The way up Meall Beag is relatively easy, the descent down the other side is turned on the right via a small path and has a short "bad step", about grade 3. You can avoid this with care but it's hardly any easier and the rock is looser so best to stick to the "path".

The main East Top itself (Meall Meadhonach) is then relatively easy again, until another "bad step" descending it - this is probably the one you've read about, it's easier than the one on Meall Beag but route-finding is harder - keep slightly left (south).

It's a brilliant route, probably my favourite in Scotland (and hence the world).
 olllie26 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Joe G: If you mean along the ridge away from Caisteal Liath (the main summit)to Meall Meadhonach then it's a grade 3 scramble and very exposed
 Wainers44 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Joe G: I did out out from Caisteal Liath and back again. It was blowing a real storm up, but dry by the time I got that far. I dont recall it being too exposed; there was just one bit which as Toreador says which was best on the south side. Little bit of a chimney descent, but short. Views are just stunning!!!
 malky_c 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Joe G: Confused as to what you mean. The east ridge is the one heading towards Elphin and is barely more than a walk. The west ridge of the eastern summit is what connects it to the main summit, and is a scramble with a few awkward and exposed moves in it. I had no problems with it 10 years ago, but am more cautious these days, so would find it hard to describe how difficult it is.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Oct 2012
 Gawyllie 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Joe G: if you're traveling West to East its no problem as you can see the route although traveling E - W just watch the descent from the first 'pinnacle'. go down the right as its is overhanging to the left

other than this its hardly even a scramble from what i can remember
In reply to Joe G: Doing it W - E as a full traverse of the hill is best. In overall terms you're descending heading in that direction, as the final top Meall Beag is a lot lower than the eastern of the main tops Meall Meadhonach. But if heading east then all the scrambling sections (about grade 3) are done in ascent, and route finding is much easier. As you head along the crest from the central col the first scrambling's on Meall Meadhonach - brief but good value. Then you descend into a deep notch, directly under the last top of all, Meall Bheag. You climb the left flank of this (left if facing east) up a series of mucky rock steps - quite serious, albeit short-lived difficulties (grade 3 again). From here you're on the east ridge proper, which in answer to your question is a steep walk down but only vaguely scrambly - easy ground compared to the ascent of Meall Bheag
OP Joe G 03 Oct 2012

Thanks everyone, I think between you all you worked out what I meant! It was the eastern ridge of Meall Bheag that I meant, so that bit's just a walk and a traverse best done W-E.

Cheers,
Joe
 Simon Caldwell 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

On the other hand, going E-W you get the best views. And can also join tiny outcrops for some fun scrambling on the way up Meall Beag. And biggest advantage, you don't have to ascend either of the scree chutes to the col!

I've only been as far as Meall Meadhonach going W-E. It's on my list to do the whole thing, accessing the main summit via Rose Route, though I expect I'll run out of time
In reply to Toreador: Starting with Rose Route has to be the ultimate way; it's on my wish list too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...