UKC

How much money for a half page magazine photo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 09 Oct 2012
To all you professional photographers, how much would you expect for a half page photo in a magazine?

Cheers,
Heike
Douglas Griffin 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Hi there Heike.

I'm certainly not a professional (if only!) but I was recently offered £30 for the use of a photo to accompany an article in 'What Digital Camera' magazine. Not a lot but it seemed reasonable to me given the photo in question - I don't particularly rate it! But it will (if it's used) be properly credited with a link to my website, so I look upon that as a form of payment.

Hope that's of some use to you.

Doug.
 Dan Lane 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Very much depends on what magazine it is, but I'd certainly be expecting more than £30 for a full page in a magazine like What Digital Camera! Although publicity like that is good if you're just trying to break into the market.

Hope the helps!
Dan
(www.danlanephotography.com)
 Tall Clare 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Doug - with the quality of your work, you're selling yourself very short at that rate. You're more accomplished than quite a few folk who are pitching themselves as 'pros' on here.
In reply to Dan Lane:

I think Heike was talking about a half page, which anyway I think is more than my photo is likely to occupy.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks, Clare. But my first reaction whenever I get offered money for one of my photos is generally one of pleasant surprise!

Re. the amount, I'll be interested to see what the general view is on this. I normally charge £65 for a 8"x12" print on high-quality paper, so £30 for a small image in a magazine didn't seem too unreasonable to me.
Wiley Coyote2 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Depends on all sorts of things but mostly circulation. Obviously a little regional magazine is not going to pay the same as Vogue. Visit the NUJ's website to get an idea of the rates that professionals expect (tho don't always get)
 london_huddy 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Worth a look:
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?&section=Photography...

I've walked away from people offering me £30ish for a full-page background: problem is, lots of people are just thrilled to be published.

Good luck!
OP Heike 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Hi guys,

quite a spread then. I had been offered Euro 180 for half a page and I was very pleased. Last thing I was offered in Uk was £80 for full page and £50 for half. So, it's quite a range then. Just interested, really.

Cheers, everyone

adnix 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

In Finland magazines with circulation around 5000 copies pay around 150-200€/page for content. It really depends on lot of things. Euro 180 sounds very reasonable.
In reply to adnix:

I think I'll print this thread out and keep it...
OP Heike 09 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix: that's what I thought, but then I have been giving away loads of pics for free in the past...hey must be my turn sometime...
 Dan Lane 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

Oops, just re-read the thread, You're looking for a half page price. I'd still be looking for more than £30 but not a ridiculous amount more. From my experiance you'd be doing well to get more than £80ish for half a page.
In reply to Heike:

I use Fotoquote software and it's quoting £150.00 for a 1/2 page spread in a UK consumer magazine, circulation under 10,000. I'd imagine that's top dollar, so to speak, so I'd negotiate down depending on which magazine it is.

Saying that, it's a moot point if you give people the image first in good faith. I'm due payment from a certain MB magazine, who used my image in their last issue but are proving elusive in responding to my emails.
 Bimble 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike:

The London Freelance Rates are what I work off. £30 for a half-page spread is just insulting, and gives companies the idea that they can get away with paying sod-all for images, or try to blag them for free.

Some newspapers pay set amounts for different sizes, the Telegraph being the most reasonable (from memory, anyway). The last shot I sold to them was printed around 4x5 and they paid £185 for it.
 halo 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Heike: If your getting into freelance this is a good link for photojournalists:

http://www.londonfreelance.org/rates/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...