UKC

where can i learn to resole rock shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanlgm 10 Oct 2012
Does anyone know of any places where i can learn how to resole rock shoes.

I am based in the south east but can possibly travel if there is a course or something elsewhere.

cheers

Alan
johnj 10 Oct 2012
alanlgm 11 Oct 2012
Yea i did think of maybe seeing if i could go into a shop and work for free but there areny any close to me.

It may be a question of just trying my hand at it.

nice to get some guidance first though#

Thanks

anyone else got any ideas?
 nniff 11 Oct 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

Prison? Timpson runs courses inside for those who wish to be cobblers after their release.

There are a few conditions attached though.

andyathome 11 Oct 2012
In reply to alanlgm:
> Does anyone know of any places where i can learn how to resole rock shoes.
>
> I am based in the south east but can possibly travel if there is a course or something elsewhere.
>
> cheers
>
> Alan

Cobblers!
andyathome 11 Oct 2012
In reply to andyathome:
Sorry. Feeling flippant......
 torquil 11 Oct 2012
The quick answer is nowhere!

The hardest thing for me setting up was finding out how to resole, and getting to the point where I could do it well enough to make a living. That and getting rubber - give Bigstone (5.10 distributor) a ring try and get them to sell you some!

I'd be very reluctant to teach someone else to resole as it would inevitably impact on my own business if I did, I'd imagine you'd get a similar response from the other three uk resolers. It may be that there is enough work in the UK to take another business - particularly if you are getting a lot of local drop off work as I do, but I'm not sure.

However I do think there is a real opening for someone to set up in Ireland though as there is no one doing it there...

(oh I'm Llanberis Resoles BTW)
 Rick Graham 12 Oct 2012
> The hardest thing for me setting up was finding out how to resole, and getting to the point where I could do it well enough to make a living. >

Can't resist giving Torquil a plug.

Just got two pairs back from Llanberis resoles.
Dropped off Saturday, received by post on Thursday, brilliant, really pleased.
The quality of the finish is exceptional. He obviously has the gear for the job and the skill to use it.

Rick
 torquil 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks rick, its good to get positive feedback after all the hard work and frustration it took to get to this point. I hear Andy Kirkpatrick tweeted today that I was the Dr.of Rubber...which I'd like to be true but I honestly still feel like I've got a way to go yet.

Teaching yourself is definitely possible, there is a bit of info on the 'net, some bad, some good. My favourite is here:

http://climbingnarc.com/videos/a-desert-life/

About Alf Randell who lives out of his truck climbing at Indian Creek and resoling shoes, well worth a watch.
alanlgm 30 Oct 2012
Sorry for seeming like I abandoned the post but i have had pc problems.

Thanks for the honest and frank Answer torquil i did kind of guess that would be the case but you never know.

And being in the south east not actually near any crags there is nowhere close to get shoes resoled.

I think the thing for me to do is just to get some knackered pairs and mess around.

many thanks

Alan
 Bertbee 30 Oct 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

You can always post your shoes to Torquil?
alanlgm 01 Nov 2012
I think you missed the point of my post Bertbee, I am not so much worried about my shoes as learning how to resole them.

Bertbee 01 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

Just in your last post you suggested that, "being in the south east [and] not actually near any crags there is nowhere close to get shoes resoled."

Just mentioning that isn't a problem, you can send your shoes to be resoled! Although it would of course be pretty ace to be able to DIY.
 jkarran 01 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

I'm sure the basics could be learned from a cobbler if nobody in the climbing-shoe business is willing to share their secrets. After that you're into stripping shoes down and having a go, a stage you'd have to go through anyway to develop your skills. Sounds like sourcing the rubber is a proper pain in the ass though!

jk
 antdav 01 Nov 2012
I'm sure a climbing club wouldn't mind giving their rubbish shoes to someone looking to try. Ours are all 10-15 years old so anything would be an improvement.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...