UKC

Avoiding elbow injuries when training for ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HenryJM 12 Oct 2012
I'm hopefully heading Norway in the new year for some Ice action and want to get the most out the week, so have started to train. I've done a reasonable amount of research and doing a fair range of different things to train- axe chin ups and lock offs (assisted by a foot loop and without) standard chins, skipping, wrist curls and running with a fair amount of mixing it up session wise. I have had tendinitis problems in the past and want to make sure I avoid screwing it up again. Ive dusted off the elastic band given to me by the physio last time and am doing those exercises again, but does anyone have any top tips or links they could share? It would be much appreciated.
 iksander 12 Oct 2012
In reply to HenryJM: Be very careful with straight arm hangs - I knackered my triceps tendon at the elbow doing one arm hangs and more than a year later of tricep work still not fully healed.
 bigpad 12 Oct 2012
In reply to HenryJM:

push ups will solve the problem, alot of the time your elbow get pain from training and climbing due to the overuse of curtain muscle which in turn become to strong for their opposing muscles and then kind of begin to pull your elbow joint apart or in one direction. by doing different sets of push ups these muscles will cope and the ones that aren't getting used as much will gain strength and balance out.

bp
HenryJM 12 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander: Thanks for that, something to avoid.
HenryJM 12 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: I had been putting a few press ups in here and there, bit half heartedly to be honest. Gonna Smash 'em now!
 bigpad 13 Oct 2012
In reply to HenryJM:

make sure you do different sets, alot of the time its your triceps that need to be worked so move you closer together, but to make sure your body is balance have some distance in them as well. i prefer to do 5 sets of 20 with each set being different.

have you thumbs and first finger tips touching so there is a diamond shape made under your chest.
have you hands under your shoulders with your elbows next to your sides.
normal position.
then 2 more sets getting wider apart

start of with lower reps until you become comfortable with doing so many.

bp
 bigpad 13 Oct 2012
In reply to HenryJM:

also i prefer to do them after a training session so you dont have to think about doing them the next day which lets you have full rest days

bp
HenryJM 13 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: A beastly workout, I'll get on it. Ta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...