UKC

Training; Help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EliC 18 Oct 2012
Hi,
I was wondering how you guys got out and advanced/trained your skills without having someone with immense knowledge around. I recently left college so havent got college expeditions or lecturers to assist. I can navigate well, have decent mountain skills and climbing skills, I just wanted to know how best to improve my knowledge and skills in the mountains without taking stupid risks. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
 Souljah 18 Oct 2012
pyb!
OP EliC 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Souljah:
Isn't that quite expensive though ha? And I meant with just a couple of people to be honest mate
 Souljah 18 Oct 2012
In reply to CrimpShrimp:
Then you have just answered your own question!
 Monk 18 Oct 2012
In reply to CrimpShrimp:

I borrowed books from the library and went out and did it. Along the way I have sometimes met people who are more experienced in a certain aspect, and I learnt from them.

Courses are great for learning stuff in a concentrated manner, and to receive an objective assessment of your skills, but they are by no means essential if you can't afford them.

On the other hand, look out for BMC skills courses and Conville courses in the alps and Scotland - heavily discounted and targeted at younger people.
OP EliC 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Monk:
Thanks mate, the Conville courses look great, looks like i missed the application deadlines for this year but definitly something to bear in mind. Something like that would be great.
OP EliC 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Monk:
Do you know of any other courses like that Conville one?
Ta
 mcdougal 18 Oct 2012
In reply to CrimpShrimp:

Try reading Mountaincraft and Leadership by Eric Langmuir.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...