UKC

Yosemite in November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jhw 18 Oct 2012
It appears I am to be in Northern California from November 21-28, with time to kill after Thanksgiving, likely from November 24-27 inclusive. I will have a car.

I've been looking into the climbing options, posting on here trying to dig out a partner, etc. Does anyone have any tips? It looks like the Tuolomne Meadows access road is likely to be closed that late which is a shame as it would be a pretty great place to introduce my brother to climbing...is Yosemite also likely to be closed/snowed off or am I in with a chance, and if so can anyone recommend any areas where I can take my brother, about HS-4c level I suppose, with top-roping options for the first morning and single-pitch options for the first afternoon?

Is this idea a non-starter and if so does anyone have any ideas generally for how to kill 4 days in Northern California with a car, in November.

I mountain bike.

Cheers

Jack

alicia 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw:

In general it's cold and/or snowy in both Tuolomne and Yosemite by then, but you can get lucky--we once got 3 warm, sunny, perfect days in Yosemite in mid-November. So basically I'd say it's a wait and see the forecast type of deal.

there isn't a whole lot of HS-level stuff that I can think of though, especially single pitch/toproping. My logbook tells me I did a single pitch VS-ish route (5.8) at Church Bowl crag but I cannot for the life of me remember anything about the route or even the crag!
 DaveHK 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw:

Lover's Leap or Tahoe area might be a better option for what you describe.
 DaveHK 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw:

Aspect is going to be the key thing. You'll want to climb in the sun!
OP jhw 18 Oct 2012
It will be frustrating to go to these areas and be restricted to these grades.
 Morgan Woods 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw:
the bouldering might be good at that time.
 jspiller 19 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw: swan slabs, some easy grade trad climbs nice angle for beginners , also bouldering right next to it , in the name of "camp 4" park right over the road from the slabs 2 minutes....
 David Coley 19 Oct 2012
In reply to jhw: there is plenty of low down easy short stuff for you to do. However if the weather is good do snake dyke on half dome. It will make the trip.
In reply to jhw:
> It will be frustrating to go to these areas and be restricted to these grades.

If there's stuff worth doing at your grade, then I don't see how the existence or not of other, better stuff at higher grades should really affect your enjoyment of the climbing. Every time you go to a crag do you just sit around gnawing your face off in frustration that you can't climb all of it right now?
OP jhw 19 Oct 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Your argument is logical! Thanks for tips all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...